Wednesday, September 04, 2013

How to Send the Family Historian Over the Edge

http://bizarrocomics.com
A few weeks back I received something from Revenue Canada requesting information. (A real pain in the ass but that is another post for another time.Or not. Who wants to hear about Revenue Canada?) While digging through old papers I came across a slip of paper. It was green. It was a handwritten receipt for the burial plot of my great grandfather, a man I never met. He was a troubled man and left my nana (grandma) with 3 children under the age of 4. It is a sad story. I think he may have been gay and being forced to live in a heterosexual relationship was just too much for him. Yes, I will write a post on this another time.

Anyway...


I found this little slip of paper and noticed it was made out to a Wilfred E. (my maiden name). Huh? Ok, who on earth is this guy because I have never heard of him. I e mail my aunts and they write back that Wilfred was one of my grandfather's brothers. Apparently there was a whole lot of siblings that I never knew about. It has opened the figurative can of worms and proves that no matter how long and hard you research your roots you can never be 100% sure that the information you have is correct. And I can't leave this alone, oh no! There are people to be tracked! Aunts, uncles and cousins to be added! There are second cousins, once removed to be added. And their spouses! Dear god, it is a geneologists dream come true. I think we geneologists get a little sad when we think we have tracked as far as we can go. But the truth is, we are never finished. So far I have over 5000 people on my tree. And onward I go!

This morning is the first day in months that I have had the house to myself. I got my coffee, had a sip and sighed at the wonderfulness of it all. 

8 comments :

  1. For a while, some years back I was determined to add to the family tree that my grandfather started, and with the help of the Internet, at the time a new and wonderful thing, I did find some live distant relatives. Maybe some day I will continue my search, just never have enough time any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5000 is an amazing number!.. sounds really interesting
    glad you enjoyed your peaceful coffee break

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very time consuming...but fun! My brother is building our family tree. He has found distant relatives in different areas of the world. It's pretty exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad came from Scotland when he was 12...One of 10 children!
    He was very succesful, but we (my siblings) never knew his family...only one brother...noone else...and that was the way he wanted it...
    I adore that necklace you bought...Erika and Miss V gave me one very similar for Christmas...I should have done a post about it...

    Cheers!
    Linda:o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love your peaceful cup of coffee. And am in awe at the numbers of your relatives...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You post reminds me that I have to write a Cheat Sheet of our relatives for my kids before I loose my memory. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18