This is the time of night when I know I should have been in bed an hour ago even though it is only 8:30. I don't deal well with life when I get tired. But it seems like I am always tired so what can I do? I did have a nap today but I didn't really sleep. All things considered, until the last hour I had an OK day. I got up and drove my kids to school. I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon where I waited for almost an hour. There was a woman in there that was strung out on god-knows-what. First she was eating potato chips like there was no tommorow. I am talking loud rustling of the bag and literally shoveling them into her mouth with her hand. Then she started on a second bag. Now as you know, my nerves are more than a wee bit frayed latley but I took some deep breaths and tried to ignore her. If Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson walked into the clinic I would have had a better chance of ignoring them but I digress. She was also drinking a Coke. Did I mention she was waiting for her boyfriend who was there giving a urine sample. And don't judge me...we all want to know why other people are there even if it is just a little bit. Anyway... after the two bags of chips it got kind of quiet for about 10 seconds. So quiet that I looked up and she pulled out a doughnut. WTF? She ate in one bite. I am not kidding. At this point I am trying so hard not to stare. The whole scene was spectacular in a warped and twisted kind of way. After the doughnut I guess she had nothing else to do so she started kicking the chair in front of her. Loudly. Very, very loudly. At this point I could not take it a second more so I moved clear across the clinic and said to myself "I thought I was a mess". And then I realized I am a mess. She was still sitting there when I left. I guess the boyfriend's urine tested positive.
OK, I was going somewhere with this. Oh yes. I had an OK day. A bunch of running around. I finally got my haircut. It has been months. I finally talked my son into getting his hair cut as well. His hair looked exactly like Shaggy's only dark brown. Now it is really short and a little longer at the top.
So anyway...I am now tired, overwhelmed and cranky. I am going to have some Valerian root tea then go to bed.
I was waiting in the airport recently and this guy was eating McDonalds out of a paper bag and it was bugging the hell out of me. I'm not a great fan of watching people eat in public.
ReplyDeleteLoud eating gets on my nerves.. wow she sounded hungry!..maybe she was pregnant?. Had a funny image of the boyfriend giving a urine sample right there in full view:).
ReplyDeleteHope you had a nice rest
Loud eating does my head in, and makes my stomach curdle.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get a decent night's sleep.
I can't imagine anyone over here sitting in a doctor's waiting room eating. They'd all be afraid of catching something!
ReplyDeleteWhat we get is people (I'm sorry to say, mostly old people) talking VERY LOUDLY about what's wrong with them, life and the universe in general. I live in a village, so all the older folk know each other. And none of them know how to be quiet.
I think you may have been looking in my window tonight. I was chomping down some chips but unfortunately didn't have any donuts. Weird thing is the we had to have the son bring in a urine sample for his physical today so although it wasn't for a drug screening or in a therapists office once again we seem to be living oddly parallel lives.
ReplyDeleteHow the hell do you eat a doughnut in one bite? If I had a mouth that big - well, never mind.
ReplyDeleteI'm guessing it wouldn't just be the boyfriend's urine that would test positive. Hey, you didn't hit over the head with a shovel, that's something:)
ReplyDeleteHope you slept well.
Perhaps she needed a cigarette or was experiencing some other type of drug withdrawal. Regardless I do wish you had videoed this scene to play with your blog post. Wouldn't that have been cool?
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of strange eating habits. Ron used to stop in the bathroom with a sandwich or plate of food and set it down on the counter while he took care of business. It drove me crazy. I said don't carry food in the bathroom! Yesterday while in the bathroom I noticed my plate of toast and eggs on the bathroom counter. Yikes!!!
Ugh, I hate watching other people eat in a place that is not meant for eating. And chips are even worse because you can't look away due to the crunching sound! I'm instantly angry just imagining your situation. No jury would have convicted you. Okay, don't murder people. But seriously, choke the next person eating in any waiting room. That's my message for Earth. No eating in waiting rooms, it's gross.
ReplyDeleteWhen I cram an entire donut into my face in one bite, at least I do it in the privacy of my own home, LOL!
ReplyDeleteYour writing is good. This is a short story. I had to laugh.
ReplyDeleteDid she smell like pot? I hope those were the small size bags.
ReplyDeleteI always marvel at people in waiting rooms. Usually there is the patient and three or four others. I just can't understand why they all feel like they need to be there?
I'm just so glad you had an okay day.
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear it was an okay day!
ReplyDeleteLoud eating drives me NUTS. I was on a plane one time (you'd think the engine noise would drown out annoying noises), but there was some mo-fo eating what sounded like a bottomless bag of chips in front of me. All I could hear was CRINKLE, CRACKLE, ROOT, RUSTLE, CRINKLE, CRINKLE
Grrrrrr...
You were right in moving away from that woman. Lord knows she would probably be munching on you next. What did she weigh, 400 pounds?
ReplyDelete