Monday, May 23, 2011

Why I Ditched Pads and Tampons and What I am Doing Now.

I got my first period on the last day  of grade seven.  I was twelve.  Like every other girl I started wearing those awful "Stayfree" maxi-pads.  They were really thick back then, probably a couple of inches.  From the start I had heavy periods and would soak through a pad in a few hours.  I wore pads for a few years and decided to try tampons.  It took me a long time to get used to inserting them. I could often feel them after leaving the washroom only to have to go back and try to get it in right or remove it and start over with a new one.  I tried pads again when they went thinner but they "Always" leaked. When they came out with wings I tried them too.  How many times have we had those pads rip out our pubic hair?  Back again to tampons. Get it in right only to have it move when I strained to have a bowel movement. Sometimes the tampon would almost come right out.  Start again with yet another tampon.  What a waste! 


What has bothered me the most is the waste and the impact on the environment. It is estimated that the average woman will use 10,000 pads/tampons in her lifetime.  


"Multiply the number of pads/tampons you use each month by twelve. Then, multiply that figure by 41 years - the average woman's menstruation span.  For argument's sake, let's pick the figure of 4 tampons/pads per day, for 5 days.  That's 20 disposable products per cycle. Twelve cycles per year equals 240 tampons/pads per year. Okay, now if you menstruate for 41 years...that's close to 10,000 tampons/pads you'll use in your lifetime!"*


The other part that bothered me was the cost!  Feminine products are outrageously expensive. The last part that concerned me was just was I inserting into my body? 


"Most tampons and pads contain surfactants, adhesives and additives.   In addition, most pads contain polyethylene plastic whose production is a pollutant. Also, dioxin, a known carcinogen, is a by-product of the bleaching process of tampons containing rayon. In landfills, many of these substances can leach into the environment (groundwater, streams and lakes) causing serious pollution and health concerns." *


I was tired of the whole business but what was I to do?  I likely had many more years of this.  A few years back I started my period at a friend's house and decided to just run over to the pharmacy to pick something up. It was there that I first discovered The Diva Cup.  While looking at the looooooooong aisle of pads and tampons I noticed a couple small purple boxes on the top shelf.  Upon further investigation I found something I had never heard of before.  Reading the back of the box it was pretty obvious how it worked but I was sceptical.  We have all been fed the garbage of having a "happy period".  What convinced me to buy it was it was only $35.00 (Canadian).  If I hated it and it didn't work I did not have a lot to lose.


The Diva Cup is made with 100% medical grade silicone.  It is worn inside and is easily inserted and removed. It took me about 2 months to really get used to it but I love this product!  No more cost, no more waste, no more unknown chemicals leaching into my body and into the environment and  no more fumbling and mess.  When inserted it stays inserted until I am ready to remove it.  To clean it, I simply remove it, empty it and wipe it out with toilet tissue.  If I am at home I wash it with gentle soap and water.  It can be boiled to sterilize after each month.


I really do love this product.  It has changed the way I feel about my period.  I can wear it all day and not have to even think about it.  I can wear it all night.  I will never go back to pads or tampons!


I realize The Diva Cup is not available everywhere but look on the internet to see where you can get one in your community. Other companies sell other menstural cups which I am sure are just as good. 


What some more info?

* http://www.divacup.com/



http://www.squawkfox.com/2008/06/13/10-reasons-the-diva-cup-can-change-your-life/

6 comments :

  1. I remember you mentioning this before and I looked it up then. Wish I'd found that thing before I went through menopause - it sounds like the best thing going!

    (OMG, I cannot believe the verification word I have! Let's just say, except for one letter, it relates to this post and is really not a very nice word!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of that before. I think I would be skeptical too...but it definitely doesn't hurt to be educated about new things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about that already, but I think it isn't available yet here in Portugal... I'll have to wait.

    Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of this before but have always struggled somehow with the idea of it. While also struggling with the dispposing of tampons and pads!

    You make it sound so easy! Maybe I'll try it and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting post! Never heard of this product, but sure would imagine using it, as I have the same experiences with periods as you have.;) And I love the idea of no chemicals leaking into my body.;))
    Thank you for your always kind comments at my place.;))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one, and I loooooove it! Cost me $18, and I've never looked back.

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18