Saturday, May 21, 2011

Who Will Feed Norbert?

Damn!  She has been taken up in the rapture!  Who is going to feed me now?  Oh well, I guess I will just go claw the  couch.  And pee on the bed.



Did you know that there is not many books out there on death, dying and grief?  There are books that cover the general concept of loss which is almost insulting because losing a spouse, parent or a child is not that same as any other loss, no matter how you look at it. I realize the stages have similarities but it is almost insulting to browse books that have all loses lumped together as it they are the same.  You will never convince me that losing a pet (which I have and it was dreadful) or losing a job (which I have and stayed in bed for 2 weeks and cried) is the same thing.  People that say that losing a pet is like losing a child.  It's not.  My (step) dad lost his son suddenly when his son was nine.  My dad has never recovered fully. Anyway, my point is that when I was in the bookstore today I wanted to throw a few books across the store that tries to compare them. 
Not much new in my corner of the planet.  Spoke to my mom yesterday and today.  I have to remind myself over and over that this is her dying, not mine.  (Thank you Paula for sharing this truth with me.) She is in complete denial right now.  Or maybe she forgets.  Either way I am finding this part really difficult.  When we talk she speaks of  going and getting more chemotherapy.  The weird thing is at times she convinces me. I think maybe the doctor is wrong!  I go into my own denial.  That is why I strongly believe that grief is not done in stages but is a continuum.  Yes, the emotions are there (denial, bargaining, anger, depression and acceptance) but we are always going around and around.  


Well, it is 6:45 p.m. and I was not taken up in the rapture.  It is a good thing because my cat, Norbert gets destructive and mean when he is left alone and doesn't get fed. 



12 comments :

  1. AnonymousMay 21, 2011

    Birdie...you had me laughing and crying both at the same time!

    This comment of yours touched me: "I have to remind myself over and over that this is her dying, not mine."

    That's the difficult part, because when my mom died, a part of me died also and it doesn't come back.

    I admire your strength and your mother's strength too...

    I'm listening too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to link Paula to that comment but then I got writing and forgot. Paula told me this truth in a comment to me when she told me about when her sister was in the last stages of living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 21, 2011

    This dying and this living we all do, it's just hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Barbara... I was thinking... maybe you mom knows that she is dying but she does not want anything to change... I mean maybe she does not want to bring you all down and she just want thing to go on... to continue as they are... to not think about death all the time... she wants to think of continuation... about moving... not stopping... I dunno... it is just so hard for all of you...
    It was very hard for me when close members of my family died that they are still with me... watching over me... I know it is not the same as losing a parent, sibling or partner... still a grandmother or grandfather are close... and they do have a huge impact on children's lives...
    I just hope that strengths, love and light will continue hugging you close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lana,

    I completely agree. My nana left this earthly home 7 years ago and I still miss her. I too feel her very close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never lost someone so close, so I don't know what you're going through...

    Be strong as you always are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that you are right about grief, just like life is a continuous and at times difficult process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful blog. glad to be here :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rapture skipped over me, too. Silliness, all that, but a good reminder to live well--or that life is good generally and we should live it rather than wish it away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true that we have to remember whose death it is. We'll accept, go into denial and deal with our deaths our way when that time comes.. if we can. Good for you for recognizing that.

    It would seem that it would have been a good thing if Norbert's bladder had been taken up in the rapture. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right on the money....grief is a process and it never actually ends it just changes. Death is a way of changing who we are in this world. The death of a parent is so different b/c we have never lived w/o them...we must find a new way of being in the world. They are our longest (whether for good or bad) relationship in this life and we must re-define who we are w/o them. Be kind to yourself, and allow it to unfold, 'the pain of today is b/c of the joy of yesterday' (C.S.Lewis)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Journey woman is so right. She, you and others have touched the essence of grief. It doesn't end, it changes and sometimes, even years later it can lay you flat. Life or death are not matters for comparisions, but having lost a beloved child, my mom and sister, a beloved animal, and others whose loss has changed my life forever - I can agree with Kim- there are deaths that take a piece of us with them and we can never get them back. And for me there is always an overwhelming sorrow that I will never have a do over to live life over again with some of those who are gone.
    I am sending prayers for all of you and many for your young daughter who is losing her grandma.

    About books on death, dying and grief,
    Look for these:
    *Intimate Death by Marie deHennezel
    *Grieving the Death of a Mother by Harold Ivan Smith
    On Death and Dying
    *Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
    *On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss
    Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
    I also think there is a book titled Motherloss but I may be mistaken.

    Anything by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross is a blessing. You can order these on Amazon or through your local Barnes & Noble.

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18