Thursday, May 19, 2011

This Business of Dying

I went to see my mom yesterday and she was having a OK day. We got her in the shower; her first in a month.  She has been having bed baths.  I was hoping just maybe she was on an up-swing but from doing Palliative care for a long time now I know the term "rallying". Rallying is when a dying person appears to be getting better, only to crash and die a short time later.  She is not eating much and drinking very little.  Her colostomy bag has had nothing in it for two days now.
My dad, my strong dad who is built and can work like an OK is getting so tired.  The worst part is to see him so sad.  He soul-mate is dying.  His best friend is dying and there is nothing he can do to stop it.  He tries, which is equally sad.  He tries to get her to eat and drink. He caters to her every whim.  Maybe he thinks if he can just get some food into her she will get stronger.  My sister is expecting, she has four weeks to go but my dad is not able to find the joy in it.  I spoke with him tonight about that.  I told him he is allowed to separate the two, this dying and this birth but I don't think he can.
My dad, who has never spoken of the Spiritual, not even a mention of God or angels or an afterlife thought he saw his mom who passed away 10 years ago. He said he thought he saw her walk into my mom's room where she was sleeping.  My mom and my dad's mom were very close and I guess she is coming to reassure my dad that she is waiting on the other side.  My mom has speaks of  "dreams" she is having about people who died years ago.
Anyway, her fight is not like you read in obituary notices.  This is not a brave, courageous, valiant battle with cancer.  This battle has been fucking cruel.  It has robbed. It gives hope and snatches it away again in it's evil grasp.  And it taunts.  It causes pain and suffering and it thrives on it.  It takes away your dignity. My mom sleeps, when she is not sleeping she is crying because she does not want to die.  She is not afraid of the after-life but she still has so much to live for. I hope and pray each day that she will die with peace but that hope is diminishing as she gets more weak and confused.  I know many of you are sending Reiki energy to my mom.  This being the internet and because she has a very unique first name just send the energy to "May", her middle name.  My dad could use some too.  His middle name is Edward. Thanks. 


So, not to be a totally depressing post, I had an offer on my condo today and I have accepted it.  I sign the final papers tomorrow morning.  Move out day is July 15 but we get possession of our new home June 24 so I can move out and take my time.  My new home is so pretty!  My fiancé and I were planning today where we are going to put the garden.  We talked about what we are going to do in the basement.  We talked about the chickens we want to get.  OK, that I want to get!  I am so glad I am finally going to be with him after four years.  
Again, I thank all of you that read my blog. Thank you to those of you that leave comments.  Thank you to those of you that don't leave comments because you don't know what to say.  I can feel your love and energy and for that I am grateful.


Namaste.

13 comments :

  1. Reiki coming your way.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was a reason i woke up early. It is a reiki day, i have spent the last hr doing a send to a friend. Now it is coming in three ways to you all,
    love, light and blessings xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, I don't know what to say. So I will make a crass remark that is meant to be uplifting:

    So many emotional situations in your life at one time, crikey girl, you don't do things by half do you?

    Love from the UK x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birdie, what a touching, beautiful and heart felt post!
    I'm wiping my tears as I typed. Is so hard to say the right thing, that I don't ever going to try. I can only say that it's so wonderful and touching the love that your parents share and the fact that your mom is around so much love as she struggles with her life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 20, 2011

    It's so hard watching people die and yet it is something we must all do. Sending hugs for the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you and your family. -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reiki coming your way.... may it bring peace, love, strength and light to all of you.
    I believe that our ancestors or our passed loved ones coming to guide us and take care of us before we move on. Know that she will be taken care of.... May you all have the strengths to continue facing this challenge.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Birdie,

    you know there is no hope and you are in a very sad place. Before the end your Mom will come to accept that she has to die, it has been so with every person I've seen and known at the end.

    You have a perfect example of the circle of life in your family, one life leaving, another coming; you yourself are starting a new life, I hope your Mom knows that you are happy and settled with your fiancee.

    I am so sorry for your Dad, it is hardest for him.

    My best wishes to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sei he ki
    sei he ki
    sei he ki

    For the grief to be soft...

    sei he ki is a reiki symbol that helps us when we're week, feeling anger and frustrated.


    Lots of love

    Isa


    Thanks for stopping by at My Girlish Whims to see me:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reiki and intentions for peace to come to your mother and father as they both prepare for this ending to their life together, Reiki and intentions for your strength to be enough to help your father after your mother passes which will be very soon, I expect. And finally Reiki and intentions that although the death of your mother will be a sad time for everyone that each of you will reach for the others for comfort bringing moments of joy and remembering how special "May" is and how she will be with you always.... for the highest and best good of all concerned... so be it and SO IT IS... amen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousMay 21, 2011

    Birdie...I'm so sorry that your mom is dying. This breaks my heart.

    I'm only 40 and I lost my mom this past November, very suddenly may I add. We still don't know how she died, and she died alone too :(

    I know just your presence will bring her comfort. Know that my thoughts are with you.

    Blessings to you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just sending you hugs.
    And I'm glad you have some happy things to think about during this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am feeling everything you have shared in the most physical way. It has me off balance. No, I do not know what to say, but my heart is sending so much out to you, without words.

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18