Sunday, December 08, 2013

OK, very, very tired but will do a quick post. Got up and went for breakfast with my husband, came home then went to a Quaker service. I walked the labyrinth then came home and talked to a telephone counselor. I was then done. I was so tired. The rest of the day I just sat on the couch, exhausted. I did cross stitch which is not turning out great but it isn't bad for a beginner. In the past I have read that that the back of the picture should look as neat as the front. WTF? Why is our society so obsessed with perfection? Can't I just cross stitch and enjoy it? My god. The back looks like hell and I am going to keep it that way. 
Anyway, that is about all I did today. It is 9:00 and I am ready for bed. 

15 comments :

  1. I am happy to see your post. It was reassuring. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for keeping us posted.
    I too do cross stitch - and the back doesn't look as neat as the front. And how can it, with beginnings and endings to factor in. And you can't see both sides at once - so what does it matter?
    Rest up all you can. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The back should look as neat as the front? I've gone off to work thinking I was having a really good hair day, only to run my hand over the back of my head and find a tangled rat's nest. Oh, well. I don't care what people think of me as I'm walking away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you. I'm interested in the 'walking the labyrinth'. Does it help? I've tried it a couple of times (there's one at a place I sometimes visit as a tourist) but I'm never really sure what it's supposed to DO for me. (Or I'm supposed to do with it.)
    When you're up to it, I'd be interested in a post about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outwardly you are keeping up appearances while inwardly you are a tangled mess. Perhaps there is a message in your cross stitch:) It is okay whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The back of my cross-stitch pieces always looked like a dog's breakfast. Screw it! It's hard enough getting the front to look decent, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's 10:00 am as I'm reading this, but I too am ready for bed. Although, it doesn't help that I'm sick. And not just sick in the head as usual. You'll make it through. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoever said cross stitching should be as neat in the back as the front is full of it and probably OCD as well. I for one don't give a damned what the back looks like because nobody will see it.
    Sweetie, just hang there and know we all care about you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit that my first thought was exactly like Granny Annie's but the reality of cross stitch is that it takes a lot of work, perseverance, dedication and an ability to see the full picture even when you're focused on little itty bitty Xs. Keep on putting one stitch after the other (and one foot in front of the other) and you'll get there. What's behind the image.. is behind it. It's what's up front that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to cross stich quite a bit and it took years to make the backs look neat, but never as neat as the front. If you want the secret I will tell you not to knot the threads. Instead run them under several of the stitches you just made and snip them. But something about the tangled mess made me feel accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure about the back of the cross stitch! What does it matter really? It's the back. I agree, perfectionism is a killer in western society. You do whatever you need to do for you Birdie. Walking the labyrinth sounds very peaceful. I used to do one online. I would have no idea where there was one over here. Maybe I will google. Hope you manage to sleep. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are doing great for how you are feeling. And if no one sees the back of the cross stitch it doesn't matter what it looks like. You don't have to live up to anyone else's standards but your own.
    I hope you have a good sleep and start to feel a bit better day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am having one of those days too. I took a walk, I've been to the store. And now I need to take a shower and wash my hair and that seems like an impossible task.
    Sigh...
    I am proud of you. I really am.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can keep the back as messy as you want. No one has to be perfect. It is simply enough that you are doing what you like to do. I hope that you gain some strength. This time of the year a lot of us are tired because of lack of sun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's your cross-stich, so cross-stitch the way you like and screw 'em all!

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18