I am so reluctant to write this post. For all of you that face the stigma of depression you might understand. Last week things were getting quite bad. I called my doctor on Thursday and was told he was not available until the 12th, a two week wait. It was strange because I have never experienced depression in the way Usually I am just low and keep plodding forward but for some reason this weekend I crashed. And this is what happened...
I took an overdose and ended up in the hospital. It all at once just became too much. I was getting ready for bed and I just could not take it one more second and I decided all at once that I no longer wanted to live. As I write this out now I am trying to think of a way to write this so it makes sense to you, the reader but it doesn't even make sense to me. I want to be honest but I am not even sure what the truth is. It just got to the point where I was suffocating. There was no left of right, forwards of backwards. It was just done.
Anyway, obviously I did not succeed. I was taken to the emergency where I learned what I took was not anywhere near enough to kill me. I was admitted to the emergency psychiatric unit where they supposedly assess you. All that really happened was I was given a pair of puce coloured hospital pajamas and left alone in my room. Someone checked on me every two hours. I was too tired to cry, too tired to think. All I remember was a deep regret that I did not accomplish that what I set out to do. I few times I walked around the main area where there was some pamphlets to read. Everything was locked up. The fridge, the phone, the shower. A psychiatrist finally dropped stopped in to see me and asked me a bunch of questions about my family but didn't seem all that concerned about why I was there. He told me he was going to change my anti-depressant medication but the next day the staff obviously forgot to give it to me because when I was asked (by a totally different psychiatrist) if I had taken medication that morning I told him that I had not even seen anyone that day and it was coming up 11:00. Anyway, he asked me how I was feeling and I wanted to yell at him, "How the fuck do you think I am feeling?" but knew that reaction would only get me sent 'downstairs' where all the hard cases go. I lied and told him I was feeling better and no, I did not want to hurt myself. You don't get support 'downstairs'. You get to watch a communal TV and do crafts. It sounded like something out of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.
I was sent home that day in probably worse shape. I was not given a single resource at the time. All the psych doctor said was to follow up with my family doctor. (The same one that I could not get into see for 2 weeks.)
Anyway, now I am home and a heaviness is all around me. I know I should be back in the hopsital but I can't handle the thought of going there. At least at home I can sleep in my own bed, have a hot bath and work on a cross stitch. (No scissors in the psych ward!) Two community psych nurses are coming by tomorrow to see how I am and what am I to say? Nothing has changed since I took the overdose. Nobody is helping me. Nobody is trying to set things in place for me. (I have to do that myself.) Oh wait, I did have to deal with our medical system to try to get a medication covered. I also had to jump through hoops to get some time off work. Both of those took every ounce of energy I had. Everything else continues on as normal. Driving my kids around, making meals, cleaning up, laundry, feeding the cat... Nothing has changed. I cried out for help (and I think maybe that is what it was) and all I am in now is a free fall. I am going to see a counselor on Saturday but other than that I am more alone than ever. I don't want to die but I don't want to live like this anymore.
It is a scary place. Obviously I have turned the corner and really am insane now. And my god, I am so very tired.
And I am terrified to publish this post.
Hugs to you. I wish you all the best in getting help and getting back on track.
ReplyDeleteIt's understandable that you want your pain to stop. But please hang on, Birdie, until your doctor's appointment!
ReplyDeleteI had wondered what might have happened when you didn't post again after last weekend. I was worried. I am sorry that I didn't comment then, but I didn't think anything I had to say would be of help. I am still unsure that I can say anything of use.
ReplyDeleteI am probably your age. It has been 5 years since my last (not my first) suicide attempt. It has been a very long road back to wanting to live and enjoying some of it. I still fight depression and suicidal ideation nearly every day, but I am better. I have an incredible psychologist who I finally see just once every two weeks. Meds alone were not my answer.
I don't know what help is available to you. It doesn't sound like there is much. New meds take time to work, please find someone to talk to, whether online or in person. Please don't give up yet.
And thank you for being brave enough to post to your blog.
I wondered how your were since your last post too. Hoping you get the support you need soon. keep posting when you can.. we're listening too.x
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. Hurting for you, hurting with you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so very frightened for you. I'm sure there is nothing I can say that will be of any instant comfort to you, but I want you to know I understand about hopelessness, and feeling as though there is no way out except the final way out. Please believe me when I say there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that is worth taking your own life. No matter how helpless you may feel in the face of your problems, there is always a new day ahead of you in which an answer may appear. Please, please, please talk to me... I've been where you are, and I managed to escape, and I'm in a better place than I ever thought I could be. It wasn't easy getting here, but I did, and you can too. Words... words... words... they seem so ineffectual, but words are the pathway out of where you are. Call me any time... I want to hear your voice and help you through this. 1-707-315-7698. I mean it, Birdie... I don't want to lose you.
ReplyDeleteThere was something in your last post that made me very worried. Well done for having the courage to write this one. I know it won't have been easy. I had a time many many years ago when I was at the same low. I rarely discuss it, and I'm not going to now, because the last thing I want to do is make you feel like I'm trying to outdo you. I just need you to know that I get that 'I want to be honest but I am not even sure what the truth is.' I wish I was closer so I could be some practical help. All I can suggest is that you show this post to the community psych nurses and your counsellor when you speak to him/her.
ReplyDeleteI know it doesn't feel like it matters, but you have friends out here who care about you.
Oh my dear, you are NOT alone in this life, in this world. You're not. It feels like you are, but that's the depression talking, not necessarily the reality. I cannot believe that your family isn't rallying around you and that you're still going through the motions of regular living. It's truly a testament to your motherhood spirit.
ReplyDeleteI wish I was near you. Because girl, I'd hug you so hard! Please, please, please don't hurt yourself.
(OMG my cat has been scratching in his litterbox the entire time I'm trying to comment and it's distracting as hell!)
Change is in your future, I feel it. You WILL get through it, stronger, braver and more confident. Don't be afraid to ask for help and please be honest when asking for what you need so people can know how to help you. You deserve to be heard. You deserve to be loved. You deserve so much more than what you think you do. I'm going to email you...
That was incredibly brave of you to post. I hope you're actively seeking the help you need instead of succumbing to the depression. I too suffer from depression. When it gets as bad as this, there's a psychiatric institution where if one doctor isn't available, I can see another. Hopefully there's a place like that for you. It feels like this feeling will never go away, but it will. This too shall pass. Please stay strong.
ReplyDeleteYou're not insane sweetie, you're depressed. Depression is a dangerous disease. I'm going to email you. Take care.
ReplyDeleteDear, dear Birdie. I wish I could hold you.
ReplyDeleteI posted this link in my blog before and I don't know if you've read it but it seems to be appropriate here.
http://www.matthaig.com/reasons-to-stay-alive/
Matt Haig addresses some of the things you are going through/feeling.
It's insane that you're not getting help. That's what's insane. Not you. As Lily Cedar said, you have a disease. It's a terrible and yes, dangerous one.
Just keep holding on. Keep reaching for help.
KEEP WRITING ABOUT IT! Please, if you can. It will help. You will at least know you are not alone.
I am on the side of your healing.
ReplyDeleteThis is indeed quite a difficult place to be in. To be honest, I have not yet experienced something like this so I may not be able to give you any helpful medical advise.
ReplyDeleteI'm no psychiatrist. But if there's one thing that's ever kept me alive even when I'm feeling down, depressed and meaningless, it's structure- a routine that's necessary to follow. Dogs give that to me. Whether I like it or not, I have to feed them, walk them, train them and provide their necessities. You don't get a choice when you're the only one taking care of them. Kids grow old. They grow smart and responsible by the day. Dogs don't, so they are in constant need of us. Blogging is simply a perk of taking care of them.
When your brain is extremely preoccupied, there is no more room for depression. There's always something to do here and there. I pray you will find such a necessary structure in your life. God bless you.
Please hang on until you can see your Dr. and tell him how you really feel. Tell him you need help and not putting in a psych ward but medication that works.
ReplyDeleteRight now you need to concentrate on you. Do something that makes you feel good even if it's just a little bit. I always watch animal videos on youtube when I need a good chuckle. Something about animal videos makes me smile even if just for a few moments.
You've been through this before and know that it will get better so hang onto that knowledge. We are sending our prayers and positive thoughts to you. I wish I could do more to help but it's all I've got.
ReplyDeleteBirdie,
I am so sorry and I do understand the depression. Its impossible to explain and words are not sufficient to convey what you're feeling.
I was in the emergency room last feb. 14th on an iv drip of ativan.
they thought 2 mils would work, it took 10 to get me off the ceiling and far enough away from the dark thoughts so that anyone could even talk to me. There was a part of me standing to the side also screaming at the other Me saying I was stupid and looked like a fool.. too many voices inside to shut them out or silence them.. at last I rested and then for 3 days walked around like a zombie..
I told folks on my blog I was depressed and had been put on meds but thats all I told them.. But this is important enough for me to speak about, becuase its for YOU..
You are not alone- keep reaching OUT~! many lay folks will come to your rescue with their words and support. There are many who understand though they rarely speak of it..
This too shall pass, though at this moment I know you have trouble accepting it.
Suicide is a Permanent Solution to a Temporary problem.. please hear me-- This too shall Pass and you will come thru to the light of light on your journey. Hold on and reach out and keep doing that.
write me any time. we'll talk,, I'll give you my number and you can call or I'll call you.
here's my email
just copy/ paste it into an email.
l55dreamlane@aol.com
Sonny
I am so sorry you're feeling so down.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking that perhaps your regular doctor might not be the best facilitator to your healing process. We Canadians are fortunate enough that we can opt to see another available doctor if need be. You might well have that need. Consider doing a bit of online homework to find yourself a good doctor. One who will offer more than meds. You very much need more than just a family doctor.
And when the community nurses come by, yes.. you do tell them exactly what you told us. "Nothing has changed since I took the overdose. Nobody is helping me. Nobody is trying to set things in place for me."
Look out for yourself. Demand help. You matter. You are loved. You will get through this.
Hugs.
I agree with Hilary, everything that she said. You do need more than a family doctor and you do need to let everyone know that you are struggling. Sometimes nurses have better resources than doctors to find help.
ReplyDeleteIt's a shame that they haven't listened yet. But we are listening, and we do care. Please keep seeking help.
Birdie, I am so sorry to hear you are dealing with so much pain, but please hang on. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. There really is. Every time you reach this point where you think "I'm done", tell yourself "just one more day". And get to that next day. The next day, tell yourself "just one more day" again. Keep doing that each day, and live one day at a time until the help you require arrives and your life turns around. Just hang on. It will get better, and you'll look back at this period as something terrible you experienced, but made it through! Just one more day...
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry, Birdie. I wish I could say something that would help you to feel better. I will be thinking of you and praying for you.
ReplyDeleteBirdie!! I don't know what to say but know I love you and I care and I would totally give you a hug if you weren't like thousands of miles away!!
ReplyDeletehang in there...it will get better!!
Hey, I am so sorry you are going through this. If you email me at home - ml_madison@yahoo.com - or post on my blog with your email address, I will track down some support resources for you.
ReplyDeleteYou're not insane. I've been there. There are times when it is just too painful to even contemplate getting out of bed. It gets better. Believe me, it does.
Birdie,
ReplyDeleteAs I read your post, the fear of you even going through this saddens me and yet I am thankful God saw that it wasn't time for you yet. I am so sorry that you are going through this time in life that is bring you down. When my mother died, as I have told you in the past, it was the worst time in my life. Then my dad appended all his children. On top of that my loved ones keep passing away like flies. I yearn to be with my mom, with my loved ones. I think about death so much, but I stop and thank my God, that tells me he is in control. Turn to him...in the quietness of your home, right now, Birdie, turn it over to God. Unlike those doctors and nurses, he will not leave you or turn his back on you, and gopher womt tell you to call in two weeks.
A big hug to you....please don't give up. You can see from all the comments...you are loved. We are all here for you.
Betty
Birdie, you are not insane. You are in a very scary place, but you are very brave. Brave to post your blog, brave to wade through all of your pain. I too have been in that dark, scary place, and have wished for death. So many people have said what I'm thinking, so I won't repeat it all, but you need to just make it through the next moment (if a day is too long)and know that you are an important, valuable person. The world is a better place for you being in it. Please stay.
ReplyDeleteOh Birdie.That is a terrible place to be. I am so glad you posted this and I hope that knowing we are all here helps just a little. Words all seem very hollow. Everyone has said it all. Please stay in this world. You deserve to be here and to feel ok again. And you will. Until that happens, and beyond, we are all here holding your hand. xx
ReplyDeleteWow, I missed these posts this week, and I truly can't offer any words of wisdom. You are such a smart and funny person who is having the darkest of crappy times. If all these offered hugs could get to you, you would be squeezed out of breath!
ReplyDeleteI am desperately hoping that decent help is forthcoming, stat.
Have one more hug from an Albertan who is currently freezing her arse off, and feel warm vibes of hope and love waft their way too you. Wishing you calm and peaceful thought today....