Saturday, November 26, 2011
Dear god, I have been sucked down a black hole. In my last post I was looking for a young man named Arnold that died in the W.W. 1 (It turns out he was my first cousin 4 times removed.) I became very, very side tracked. And this is what I found!
Most of you know my real name. I know I am named after my great-grandmother. I never knew anything about her other than her first name. (I met her when I was very young.) Last night while searching for Arnold I found my great grandmother. And much, much more. I found all my grandmothers from that line all the way back to 1748. And...all of them had my name as a first or second name. That is 263 years of my name. I was floored when I found this out. When my mom named me she did not know that the name went that far back. She just liked my dad's grandmother and liked the name. So, there you go. I also found out that my great grandmother was born in Austria and her mother and grandmothers were born in Germany.
I am glad to be getting my mind off my mom though I did cry yesterday about 5 times. I am stressed about Christmas. I know my mom would want me to have a happy Christmas but I don't know that that is completely possible. Anyway, I am OK at this particular second.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Birdie .. isn't that amazing - 263 years of Barbaras ... wonderful to find out about them all .. that's a lovely link over historical time.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're taking your mind off things and delving into history .. take things easy at Christmas - do what you're comfortable with .. that will make the time easier and less stressful ..
Life is full of happy times, and very sad times - it's part of the whole .. relax about it all - with thoughts and glad to hear you're ok at the moment .. cheers Hilary
That's an amazing story! I recent;y found some of my paternal relatives in Wyoming with bio's. All "pioneer cowboy's" which explains a lot of my genetic caused personality!
ReplyDeleteI love you, Barbara. Just love you. I've just been reading up on your posts of late. So many feelings.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you're doing a little something to get your mind off your grief. What you're finding out about your family is wonderful.
Love you,
Lynn
Did you know I was born on St. Barbara's Day?
ReplyDelete:)
When I named my second child May Ellen I discovered after the fact that her paternal grandmother had been named May, her paternal great grandmother had been named Ellen. Or vice versa.
ReplyDeleteI think you are reaching back to all the women and you know what? Their blood is in your blood, your name is their name. This is so important. This is right.
It sounds like Arnold wants to show his appreciation for your remembering him and bringing his life to light. How very cool that you're uncovering a history of Barbara's in your ancestry. Keep on enjoying.
ReplyDeleteThe more you learn from the past the more interesting and eye opening it becomes. The questions raised and the ones answered. My middle name Jane has been passed down but not that many times...that was amazing!
ReplyDeleteThe holidays won't be easy, but try as hard as you can to think of the best memories. Cry...it's okay...and let the holiday warmth of love fill you.
I like the blog makeover.
ReplyDeleteI also like the quote.
It must feel good to know that you are connected not only by blood but by name.
I am happy to read that you are looking at other things going on in your life. That is a sign of moving on. You mom would want you to go on with your life. You will always have her in your heart. Genealogy in my own life has been very rewarding and a wonderful hobby.
ReplyDeleteThe power of knowing where you come from gives you hope for your future and your present because you realize that you are part of a circle of people that had gone through better and worse things that you have to expeince.
ReplyDeleteWell at least this is what happened to me when I discovered some of the components of my family history.
Have a lovely week,
It is so nice to find out some of our history! Neat
ReplyDeleteWow, that's amazing to think your name is that much of a tradition.
ReplyDeleteJust hang in there and take the holidays one day at a time. Sending you good thoughts.
Well that is very interesting!! My husband's birth mother is Korean but when she moved to the U.S. she started using the name Barbara. I don't know if that is the closest translation to her own name or a name she liked or what?
ReplyDeleteI think that you probably will have some difficult moments around Christmas but I believe you will be able to enjoy happy times too! Be open to that, it'll happen. :)
I am enjoying where your research is taking you. What fun.
ReplyDelete