Thursday, November 07, 2013

Bad Mood # 729 of 2013

I am in a bad mood. Again. I am. My kids, bless them woke me up by ringing the doorbell non-stop until I opened the door for them this afternoon. They had forgot to take their keys. Two kids. Two keys. No, three keys because we have a hidden key. The problem was I was sleeping because I am working nights. When I answered the door they were pissed off at me! And my son was in a particularly surly mood because I have taken his laptop away until Monday because the rule in our house is all electronic devices off at 10:00. When I got up last night he was still watching a movie at 10:40. He said there wasn't a clock in the living room. Seriously? Apparently so. Anyway... Now I am tired and know by the end of my shift tomorrow morning I am going to be walking in my sleep. Ah, well. Such is life.



This weekend Ancestry has free access to military records but I am really waiting for WW 2. (Freedom of Information does not allow access yet.) I have found a few records for WW 1 but I already knew most of them. Like this man. He is my first cousin four times removed. Doesn't he look young? He signed up in 1914 at 21 and died the following year in France. He is buried in France at Le Treport Military Cemetery.  It got me thinking of the sacrifice he made and now all these years later nobody remembers him. I wanted it not to be that way. So here he is.


And here is my papa. He died this year at the age of 90. He went off to war and never spoke of it again. We knew he was injured but he never said what the injury was. We do know he received a pension for that injury. 






OK, that is it. I am going to go drink my Tim Horton's coffee and brood. After the coffee I will feel better. 



15 comments :

  1. I would wake up grouchy when woken up in such a manner knowing full well that they had keys of their own... my kids wake me up at odd hours of the morning; sometimes 5:30 am sometimes 6.... and all I want to do is sleep a little more... what gets me going as well is when the father, who had a good nights sleep and does not wake up with his children if they woke up at night, stays at night and I have to go prepare breakfast as well...
    I like the rule of no electronics after 10:00... so way to go and keep with it...our kids do not like 3/4 of the rules we have but when they are older and have kids of their own, they will remember us and say AHHHH now I know why.
    i hope Tim Hortons helps you feel better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to bust your son but you don't need a clock in the living room. There is always a clock on the computer. Most often in the lower right hand corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the time my Lily claimed she was late coming in because her friend's cell phone's time was off.
    "Those things run by satellite," I told her.
    And she was busted.
    And yet, she still loves me and now she's crazy about being on time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dont you just love kids:) Wow your papaw was a good looking soldier...and lived to 90. Character he had

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother was killed in South Vietnam. At my cousin's funeral I looked around and realized that soon no one alive will remember him. None of the next generation was alive to have met him. My kids will just remember me breaking down in tears at the Vietnam Memorial. It really is pretty sad when you think about it.

    Anyway, stick to your guns about your rules. Your kids know what they are, there is no reason not to follow them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was such a bitchy ol' witch when someone came to the door when I was sleeping. David took it upon himself to print up and laminate a sign for the front door. It said something about if you value your life you will not ring the bell. No one ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to remember your relatives that served in our wars. Sad that the majority are forgotten -- usually only left with a gravestone marker. That is why I and so many others are trying to put together the pieces of our past families so that our today and future families will be able to know these veterans as well as other past family members.-- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope that coffee helped and you feel better. Kids, eh? One minute you want to hug them and the next...well...

    Your papa was a handsome dude! And super handsome in that uniform.

    Very sweet that you would mention your cousin. He's not completely forgotten. There is you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiss and spit. I would be in a foul temper too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Birdie, the information you are gathering on your family is awesome, but this one is sad. Your cousin dying so young and your dad being injured are sad reminders/memories of the casualties of wars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aha and by the time I finally arrive at your site, the grouchiness has gone :)

    A decent day's sleep, eventually, works wonders, I've been told.

    I shall now celebrate with a Tim Horton's coffee and take off, eh.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is certainly the right weekend to think of all those young men and women who gave their all. Lest we forget!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep 'email in line, mama!!
    I've had my head in the genealogy too, lately. I haven't checked out the military stuff though, thanks for the tip.
    Unhook the doorbell next time! Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just sending love and letting you know I'm thinking of you!
    Hoping and sending vibes out there that today is a much better day!
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool of you to post - he does look so young. Hang in!

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18