Tuesday, March 18, 2014

What is it with hot flashes? They went away for a few months and now they are back. I take a supplement that had been working but now it isn't. Is it normal for hot flashes to go away then come back again? It seems my life has come down to cotton. Cotton clothing, cotton bedding. I have been getting headaches as well. 

I just finished watching, What Maisie Knew on Netflix. Has anyone else seen it? When it comes to movies I am very picky. Usually I see about 2 movies a year at the theatre because so little appeals to me. When it came up as a suggestion on Netflix I thought I would try it with the expectation that I would not end up watching the whole show. It turned out that I not only watched it but didn't want it to end. 5 stars!

Last week I finished reading a book called, Yesterday in the Back Lane. Did one of you recommended it? I think it was a blogger that suggested it. Sadly, this book is out of print. I am not sure why because it was an excellent book. I am going to buy it from abebooks.com because I had to return my library copy today. 



A few weeks back I had a giveaway and sent out 2 copies of Hope for the Flowers. It was a surprise for the winners but I can tell you now. It is a book published on 1972 by an author named Trina Paulus. It is my favourite book of all time. It is absolutely beautiful in its message and simplicity. Over the years I have bought several copies and gave them away. It is another book that you can get at abebooks.com. I hope the winners have enjoyed their copies. 

Well, my back is sore and my hot tub is calling. 

19 comments :

  1. Enjoy your bath, and I hope it eases your back too.
    I don't know either of these books and when my unread tower diminishes I will look into them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the hot flashes happen for a period of time and then go away for months. My mom said she had them for 15 years! Susun Weed's book, " New Menopausal Years" is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot flashes, ah yes. Alcohol makes mine bonkers. I love my bedroom COLD. And I'm single so I don't have a warm body next to me to heat the bed up.

    And then no hot flashes for months. It sucks, never knowing when they'll reappear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite book of the year was Far From the Tree, Andrew Solomon, absolutely beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I am going to look for this book; it sounds great. And I wish we still had a bath tub.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope can certainly transform lives.
    and I hope your back's feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I want a hot tub soak right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just recently started hot flashes, Birdie, and discovered right away that they totally suck. I'm just sitting and minding my own business and suddenly - WHOOSH - my body temperature rises. It feels like molten lava coming from the center of my body. I start to sweat as I overheat, and then - WHOOSH - it's gone as quickly as it came, and now I feel chilled. Isn't this period of our lives fun?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine come and go, they have for years. Bamboo is supposed to be a good fibre to have close to your body when you're hot flashing.
    I went to visit my hot tub today at the hot tub store. I really did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have literally run to the freezer section in the grocery store to grab a bag of frozen peas to hold against my chest during a hot flash.
    You may reach a point where the "natural" supplements do not work.
    Cotton is good. Linen is too.
    A small fan by the bed is a complete necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am putting WHAT MAISIE KNEW on my Netflix viewing list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The movie looks fantastic. I've just started reading the book. Thank you for it.

    And the fucking hot flashes, I swear, I'm going to burst into flame one day. It's not just the hot flashes though, it's the brain fog and the depression as well. That's why I ended up going to the doctor for some estrogen. It's been two years and I was worried I wouldn't be able to continue working, that's how bad the brain fog was. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hot flashes are NEVER ENDING!
    I am 64...and I still have evenings where I could scream...
    Get used to it!
    The supplements should work, though.......
    Enjoy your day...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to go check out that movie. I also have to go have a look at abebooks.com. Thanks for the tip.

    As for the hot flashes, I get them now and again. Maybe twice a year and I'm not on any hormone therapy either. Just a natural diet of fruits veggies, no meat. I wouldn't say it's a total vegan diet, because I love my fattening ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, I went through chemopause. I can't help you with menopause. The movie sounds good. I'll look for it on netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you and I the same age also? I will be 50 in July. I have no hot flashes, no menopause....but I keep hoping!!! and I still sleep with my fleece sheets on my bed....but the down side is that I realized if my hubs hadn't taken care of it, I could still get pregnant! My God....could you imagine?!
    I have taken notes on movies and books listed. :o) Thanks for the references!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I have to add those books to my expanding list of books to read. I think my list is over 1000 books long so far. I am trying to hack it down by reading as many as I can and when I find one I don't like I pitch it off the list. At this rate I'll never even get close to the end and that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Upon your review, I have added What Maisie Knew to my queue...which means I'll probably get around to reading it in about five years. But the process of adding it to my queue was very gratifying. It has nothing to do with the movie, just my habit of habitually looking at the "Just Added" section and compulsively watching something immediately, thus relegating things I've added to the "some day" category.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My eyes widened when I saw the bright yellow cover of Hope for the Flowers. Somewhere, amid my many boxes of stuff, an old copy of it sits, waiting to be placed on a shelf. I used to read this to my little cousin when I babysat her (she is now 42!) It's a wonderful book and I'm pleased that it's still in print. Great giveaway!

    And yes, the hot flashes come and go.. for months .. sometimes years at a time. I've been very lucky. I've had short periods of flashes, so far.. and very mild. But they've been going on for about 6 years.

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18