Friday, March 07, 2014




Today my local radio station has an all 80's weekend and this song came on and I laughed out loud. Do you remember this song my 80's friends? How can you not? This is one of the songs that epitomizes the 80's as does Dire Straits songs. (I Want my MTV!) Anyway, this song came on and I had memories of my mom and dad's friends showing up unannounced visiting and getting very upset about how disrespectful this song was. My brother, who was a drunk and a pothead at the time (he has now had over 25 years of recovery. wooot!) would antagonize them and get them all upset. Though my parents had little tolerance for disrespect they didn't really like these freeloaders friends so my brother was able to keep irritating them. And it was so funny! Have you ever seen a drunk/pothead argue with an uptight disciplinarian? I wish I could have documented it. My mom and dad met these friends when they were traveling in the U.S. This couple weighed about 800 pounds between the two of them and were named Pat and Cathy. (My brother called them Cat and Pathy just to piss them off.) My parents made friends wherever they went and my mom often exchanged addresses with the wife. My mom offhandedly told them if they were ever in the area to drop by. She never thought they actually would do it. I am not kidding, one day they just showed up with their 3 kids. I remember my mom standing at the door with this look on her face. Of course she invited them in and put on the big welcome mat because that was just the type of person she was. She didn't know that they would be staying for a week. We didn't even have a bed for them so they slept in the hide-a-bed which they broke. Their three children were freaky tow-headed children with rashes and scaly red skin. I have no doubt their son ended up in prison. He was  over the top hyperactive and had multiple allergies. My brother and I watched in horror and amusement after he had a glass of chocolate milk and began destroying things. His sisters tried to placate him but that only got him more wound up. (This makes me wonder where his parents or even my parents were at the time?) Because they were there for a week my mom and dad had to continue to go to work so Cat and Pathy glommed onto our neighbours who ended up entertaining them during the day. 
What is weird is how it was OK to let strangers into the house back then and not worry about it. I would never do that now! But yes, my mom and dad never really did much about my brother's complete lack of respect for these two. In fact, all these years later my dad laughs about it. Before my mom died I asked her whatever happened to Cat and Pathy and she didn't know. She had heard they got a divorce but other than a couple of letters she never heard from them again. 
Every once in a while my brother and I talk about Cat and Pathy and we laugh and laugh. And Twisted Sister always makes me smile.

PS  - Is this font too big? I usually use a bigger font because my eyes are not great.

Is this better? 

17 comments :

  1. I remember the eighties very well. I miss the plain old MTV and VHI too.
    We never had any one stay with us who were not family. Only ones my brother in law brought a friend of his to stay with us for a weekend and my husband was freeking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Knew the song (how could I not) but hadn't seen the video. And laughed. And sang along.
    I like bigger font - but MS eyes are a bit sucky.
    And my mother frequently had people staying. For a meal, a night, a week. Often people whose lives were in crisis. It made for some odd times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Birdie,

    Your font is FINE :) Penny used bigger font on her latest post. Works good like that. I'm getting some rather surreal visuals from your posting.

    And suddenly, I'm transported back to the eighties. However, I wont be wearing eighties clothes. "We're not gonna' take it, any more...."

    Wishing you a peaceful and happy weekend, dear Birdie.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha...I am listening to (and laughing out loud) to the video as I read your post. This song is an 80s time warp! I know it very well, and it's a favourite. It was played regularly on MTV, which probably helped boost its popularity.

    Wow...your parents let strangers stay in their home! That is something. Our home was always open to visitors (my parents were extremely hospitable), but to people they knew. Not strangers! That's pretty scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the story...very funny!
    I like the big font myself...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, the 80's ROCKED! Great stories and great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The small font on the dark background is too small for my eyes too, this one is much better. I like your new background and layout by the way.

    Your mom was so good to let that couple and their kids stay in the house like that for a week. How weird to just turn up like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the bigger font as it's easier to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the bigger font.
    Your story reminded me of a thing that happened when I was a kid and a supposed friend of my stepfather's from the Army came to visit with his wife. I can't even remember if they had kids. But my stepfather never did remember the guy but sure as shit- they stayed at our house. But not for a week! It was so weird. The guy would be like, "Remember when this happened?" and he'd tell these long stories and laugh and laugh and the stepfather would be like, "Oh yeah," but he didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for the big one too!!
    As you know, I love every song from the 80s, except for Old Tim Rock And Roll, which just sucked. I love watching old videos on YouTube and laughing at the utter absurdity if them. We gobbled them up like popcorn.
    Long live the 80s!
    OMG we ALWAYS had a freak or two in the house. My parents were so laid back about that stuff. Not me. To sleep here, you pretty much have to get special security clearance from the government before I let you in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the font size.
    You may not believe this, but I am the proud owner of a Twisted Sister t-shirt. This is mainly because Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is my favorite movie and Twisted Sister makes an appearance in it. Also, Dee Snyder testifying before Congress is one of my favorite things ever.
    Cat and Pathy are a bit presumptuous to show up without warning like that. Which is probably why your parents let your brother give them hell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Font is just fine! Wow, and now Dee Snyder has no hair at all, yet he has a show called "House of Hair."

    I can't believe that anyone would be so presumptuous as to bring their family unexpected for a WEEK. Your mom must have been a saint.

    And I'd love it if you had recorded those too!

    Damn, those spandex in the pic...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bigger font, please. The smaller one is difficult for an old fart like me to read!

    I like Cat and Pathy. I'm going to have to think about other couples I know to see whether I can apply the same rule. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the bigger font. Small is fun too but nothing wrong with the bigger. By the way, I'm diggin's your new setup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love 80's music.....love your story....made me giggle!
    Who the hell shows up at your door for a WEEK?
    No video .....
    Your font is fine....
    Enjoy your weekend Birdie....
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh the 80's were a big decade for me....I graduated from high school, got married, had 2 of my children and moved away from my home town, all during the 80's.
    That story was hilarious! lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun story. And that song! I loved it. I would blast it in my bedroom, but only when my parents weren't home. I know my mom would have confiscated the tape if she had heard it. My sister and I listened to AC/DC in the living room once and the song big balls came on and she was horrified. Of course that went into the trash. lol

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18