Friday, March 21, 2014

Today I was at our small local museum and came across this replica of the boat that brought my family to the city I currently live in in 1854. My g, g, g, g, grandparents decided to pack it all up and leave England because life was getting unbearable. They were living in poverty and had heard that life was better in Canada , more specifically Vancouver Island. (It wasn't better, it was worse but that is another story for another time.) My grandmother would have spent almost the entire trip (179 days) below deck with her three children as women were not permitted on deck. She would have watched helplessly as two of her three children became sick with what old records called a "throat ailment". The youngest, a boy died and was buried at sea, a ceremony she would not be allowed to attend. The other child was my great, great, great grandmother who not only survived but went on to have 18 children and live to 87 years of age. That was old back in 1935. I can't help notice the lack of windows on this ship. I go squirrelly when I can't leave the house for 3 days because my street has not been plowed after a snow. 




And I love this. She looks so young in this picture but she was 18. The story of her family is fascinating and sad. It seems Emily's father was murdered at the age of 79 because prospectors wanted his land. That was how disputes were settled back then. Then again, that is how disputes are settled now. I have looked into how Emily died and have come up empty. She was young, only 34 so perhaps it was childbirth. It is a frustrating thing for me because I have been dabbling in history for several years now and it is rare when I can't find what I am looking for. From doing a little research I know she married but seems to disappear after that. If you want to know more about her family click here. 

And I have decided to get my hair cut. After my mom died I cut it all off. What was I thinking? After 2 1/2 years it has grown longer that I like it so I am going on Monday to get it back to shoulder length. The problem is I allow 2 people out of the 7 billion people on this planet to cut my hair and both of them quit their jobs. One of them has started school to become a nurse and the other is cutting hair in her home. Yay! But what am I going to do when she decides to stop doing hair? My hair is absurdly thick. When I was younger many stylists said it was the thickest hair they had ever seen. There are also cowlicks and if it is not cut in a certain way it sticks up. It also has a weird kink to it that no amount of flat ironing will flatten. I have been burned more than once by over zealous stylists who think they are God of Birdie's Head and try to straighten it even though I tell them it can not be straightened.  Anyway, if anyone other than the 2 of the 7 billion people cut my hair it ends up looking awful so I am doing a glad dance that there is still one person who doesn't make me cry after a haircut. 

We put up new curtains and rod today but I think they curtains are too dark. I think the curtains need to be moved into the den. Maybe tomorrow I will go buy something lighter. 

And that's it. 


15 comments :

  1. Travelling half way across the world on those ships would have been DREADFUL. A while ago there was an exhibition of a quilt that convict women did while being transported to Australia - still with bloodstains from when they pricked themselves in rolling seas.
    Aaargh.
    Good luck on the hair cut front. I hear you - and sympathise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting history. I've been doing a geneaology for about 25 years. Mine has been fairly easy as a lot of my ancestors are written about in history books. My father was a direct decendant of the man who founded the colony of Maryland. I read it and wonder how those criminals got so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 179 days! wow.. times were tough back then. Very interesting history here.
    Thick hair m'lady.. is a beautiful thing!.. going short an' sassy huh :)
    I think i'm gonna rid myself of curtains and get blinds this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. People endured things back then that we can't even imagine. Can't. Even. Imagine.
    Or they died.

    I need my hair trimmed too. It's ridiculous. Anyone one can cut my hair though. Except for me. How do people do that? Cut their own hair? I'd end up having to shave it all off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have fine hair but lots of it, and it's as kinky as could be. Please take before and afters!!
    We are still coming to the island, we are just going to wait til next days off. I can't wait, I love the sea. We should try to meet. If that's your thing. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I wear a cap all the time my hair is high maintenance. I have my hair cut every 3 weeks! I can't stand the sides when they get longer. I have thick curly hair so I know all about bits that stick up. So to speak!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how funny. I have thick curly hair too! Good luck with the hair cut. I know how hard it can be to find someone who can really handle our hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished getting ready and was thinking I want my husband to chop off some more of my hair. He does a great job, and it's free.

    She looks soo much younger than 18.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister and daughter usually cut what little hair I have so that it will not stick out underneath my wigs. This week I went into a salon and hat it cut. They looked at me a bit shocked when I sat down in the chair and pulled off my wig to reveal my practically bald head. Still it was worth the effort and I will do this from now on to get a quicker and more professional cut. Now to exclaim about 179 days in the bottom of the ship!!!!! Yikes!!!!! I would have been among the dead for sure, or I would have rebelled and fought my way to the deck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have a head full of cowlicks!
    I have been cutting mine for the last 4 months...can't decide what to do with it!
    Good luck!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did your family come from in England? Maybe we're related. The story of the young teacher is interesting too but it's so great to have your own family history like that. What a thought! To lose your children on such a voyage! The things people endured and still endure. Like you I am sometimes overwhelmed by the sadness and suffering there is all around. When I feel this way I try to look for the courage and the strength and also for the stories of the good that people do. It's hard sometimes isn't it? Oh hairdressers yes. I feel the same way. There are not too many folk who can manage my hair either. It does it's own thing, I take after my birth Mum whose hair could be huge on a windy day( I have a photo of her and her sister on such a day). My dad also had thick hair also so we got the best of both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Birdie,

    Apologies for not visiting as often as I'd like. It's my um hectic celebrity lifestyle :)

    It's almost unimaginable that your family would have to endure such a trip. The beckoning of Vancouver Island was indeed strong. And to find disillusionment upon arrival must have been quite the nightmare. Still, the test of time and testimony that you are surviving, as best you can, in that beautiful part of the world.

    Happy haircut, my dear friend.

    In peace and kind wishes,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't imagine all of the hazards people had to try to outwit in those times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So fascinating, Birdie! I love all these historical stories. Some happy. Some very tragic. I would have gone crazy below deck like that. It doesn't take long for me to get squirrely just in my own home, so I can't imagine something like that. And to have a child die on that trip and be buried at sea is unbearable. The things people go through...

    I recently cut my hair shorter than it's been in years; I was fed up of long hair and all the maintenance. I want to go even shorter the next time I go for a trim because I've discovered that I prefer it this way. We'll see if I'm brave enough to do that. My husband has super thick hair, too, and he always wakes up with cow licks. I find it kind of cute; he doesn't :)

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18