Wednesday, March 05, 2014

It was pointed out to me this week that I had a spelling error in my header. I had also been thinking about changing my blog because I am no longer 40 and I am not loving it as much as I could be. Depression seems to be just to be a part of my life. With any illness we have good days and not so good days. And some days are really horrible. I am hoping I am past the really horrible for now. It is exhausting. But I have to be mindful that the Black Dog is a part of my life. I would do anything to rid myself of him forever and even though I am doing many things (medication, counseling, group therapy, Al Anon, meditation and empowering myself with knowledge) to keep him away I know that I have to be mindful that he can always come back.
Honestly, I am a better person having a Black Dog in my life because he has taught me things. I wonder who I would be if I did not have him in my life? Well, I know one thing. I would be happier! But I would not be as compassionate and understanding. I would not have the patience I have with the people I care for. If depression was not in my life I would have learned a different way of living but also a different way of thinking. Depression has taught me to listen. Depression has taught me that most people are not as they seem. Though I would not wish depression and anxiety on anyone I am taking a bad situation and making good come from it.

So come along with me on my new journey of Ditching the Black Dog!

17 comments :

  1. Wow! Great new look, Birdie♥️
    I am in for the journey.....you sound very positive!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice new look for your blog, and cool title, too. Totally different. I like. I like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black dog and even the gray overcast dog have been a constant companion and, like you, it has taught me to be more empathetic. That empathy, I hope, makes me a good or close-to-good person in every day interactions.
    I was in an unnamed chain coffee shop and there was a guy sitting at a table for 6, sitting alone, while a group of 6 stood around searching for the ideal spot. They even asked him, pointed to an unoccupied table. He put his earbuds in and said they could take the chairs. That's someone with no problem with any shade of dog.
    So I like the new look and new name. It seems right and self-affirming. And this one post helped empower me if even a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that's a great new blog name! You ditch that Black Dog -- you ditch him GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice thing about black dogs is you can tie them to you, or set them free.
    Love the new blog look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice One Birdie. Great Header, and I love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. And with luck you will chain the anxiety hag to the black dog and ditch them both.
    Great new look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new name and look! And you are so right that there is something to learn from even the worst experiences in life. I just hope that old black dog has a good long sleep for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the new blog look, Birdie....My black dog is back too, Lily. Tired of this rollercoaster of up and down. This week is so bad, I haven't left the house once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the new blog. Name and everything looks cool. I just hope you can ditch that black dog good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the new look! And the new positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Knowing that you're shadowed by a black dog, some people still critiqued your spelling? Unfathomable.
    The new look is modern and strong. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. High Five!!!!
    This is a positive move and a giant step....
    Love the new blog also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are pretty incredible. I am with you - oh, how I wish I could ditch this forever - but I can manage. You will manage. You will be ok! And fuck whoever criticized your spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy you're still writing and LOVE the new name.
    My personal experience tells me that ditching the black dog is hard, but absolutely do-able. You know we, your readers, are all behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will change your blog title on my roll. I like the new setup. Though it is a bit on the darker side, it's really groovy looking.

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18