Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Before I had Children of My Own

20 years ago I sort of cringed at the thought of having children. I had always wanted kids but when I started looking at my nieces and nephews I was horrified. These kids were always hopped up on sugar and video games. They screamed until they got their own way. One of them was on Ritalin. They never, ever said thank you for gifts. I loved them but I dreaded seeing them. 

Another thing that held me back was my step-brother dying when I was 8 and he was 9. His death was unexpected. He went to bed one night a healthy and active boy and was dead the next afternoon.. The autopsy stated, "acute encephalitis". Even though his death happened almost 35 years ago, my dad still misses and aches for his boy every single day.

Suffice it to say that I was not really excited about having kids. I knew I wanted a family but there were just so many things that could go wrong. Even having a son scared me because my brother had been totally out of control until he went into recovery when he was 22.

My (now ex) husband and I thought we would give it a try. I got pregnant 45 seconds later. I gave birth to a great big son that proved to be an old soul the second I laid eyes on him. The son I dreaded having was a quite boy who loved to do puzzles, read books and watch Dudley the Dragon. He was always a snuggler and would sit for hours with anyone that would take the time to read him a story or play a game with him. He followed me everywhere. He was a total joy and still is.

My (now ex) husband and I decided to try again. My son was 13 months old I was still breastfeeding but thought what the hell! I was pregnant 15 seconds later. (We didn't have time for foreplay like the first time. There was a 13 month old in the house.) This time I got my girl. She came out madder than a wet hen. She cried long and loud and did not stop for 2 1/2 years. And breastfeeding! She only wanted breast milk until 18 months. She was a tiny and wiry. She loved her Mama and no one else would do. She was the child that changed everything I thought I knew about the family bed. She would not sleep by herself. She did not just cry. It was a mournful grieving cry. I didn't have it in me to let her cry. She came to sleep beside me. She had a lot of health problems and we had one appointment of another 5 days a week. 

Both my kids now are growing up. My son is going to be 18. He has a job now and comes home smelling like a man. My daughter is soon to be 16. She has such a strong sense of self. She wants to work with children with disabilities. 
What I love both about my kids is how close we are. They send me songs and song lyrics. They tell me their problems and their joys. They give me a hug every night before bed. My son will actually give me a hug at school in front of his friends. 

I have always called them my chickadees. One thing that always makes me smile is just how much they still act like chickadees. When we go grocery shopping they follow me around the store and stay really close. They usually end up tripping over me. It blesses me. Even though they are growing they still want to be with their mom. Another thing I love is they still call me, "Mama". I thought they would give it up years ago but it seems that beautiful tender word is here to stay. 

Here they both are getting ready to be in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. My son played the Pharaoh. 




Sometimes I think about what my life would be like if I did not have kids. Who is to say? I just know they are my greatest achievement. Both are kind, gentle and caring souls.I have never had a call from their school with any problems. In fact, I have had calls just to tell me how nice they are. For instance my daughter volunteered 3 lunch breaks a week for 2 years to play with a little girl with Down syndrome. Once I got a call from my son's teacher's aide because she couldn't believe how polite he was. They send thank you notes for gifts received. I raised them many years on my own when we could not afford food never mind cable tv or video games. (Proof that living in poverty can turn into something good.) I am so proud of both of them. 

20 comments :

  1. And so you should be proud! What a great-looking pair of kids you have. Cherish them - as they clearly cherish you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And so you should be proud. Karma. You did good, and it is blessing you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you love your children. They sound like wonderful, caring souls and you helped them be that, you showed them how by your example. You're a great mom, Birdie. Lovely kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids ARE a great achievement, and poverty does do wonders, I have to say mine all turned out great despite the odds. They look like great kids, you should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this is one part of your life that you can truly take comfort in. And I know that even the "best" kids can drive you crazy. But...not like troubled ones can.
    Be proud, Mama. And my kids still call me "mama" too. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They both sound like great kids. Your son must do a good Elvis impersonation if he was picked to be the Pharaoh in "Joseph" -- a fave musical of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same about my 2 kids....it is wonderful to have them

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt the same way about children before I had my son. He just started college and he is the absolute best thing that has ever happened to me. Children are a product of their environment and it sounds like yours have had a wonderful and supportive home. Congratulations on two very beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh that boy does look like an old soul! You are so lucky to have two children that are so responsible and active! We had the one, and he gave us more than enough trouble and adventure for six kids. And yes I did get calls from school. Oh how lucky and blessed you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was an awesome post, so positive and full of grace. We should all look at our children with such love in our hearts! (No wonder your step kids drive you nuts!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As well you should be. I can identify with how you said they are your greatest accomplishment. I feel the same way about mine. Our toughest job is to raise, upstanding, independent adults. You done good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You raised two beautiful children. You must be very proud. What a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww...such a heartwarming post. They are great kids. And you can pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Because you have played a huge role in how they've turned out. Way to go, 'mama'!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well look at you!
    All puffed up and proud!
    Your daughter looks just like you, and your son is a real cutie pie!
    Do they have your gorgeous blue eyes,too??
    Good for you Birdie...finally realizing what a great job you have done...and your kids love you! How cool is that!
    I feel all warm and fuzzy inside...
    Thanks!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy to read about good things and this story is beautiful and you told it with such glory.

    Now I know hat your kids look like.
    They look alike - handsome and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet post! (I pity you for the sex with your ex, from the sounds of it.) They are lucky to have you as their mom.

    I'm so sorry about your stepbrother. That must still be heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Proud mum indeed - and rightly so - sounds like you've done a wonderful job moulding these lovely young adults. Karma to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look and sound great young people. With a Mum like you they couldn't fail to be fabulous if you don't mind me saying so. I wish you were my Mum. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful. I'm doing the PMS crying thing now. Thanks! lol

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18