Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What to do When Your Heart Hurts

I have stopped asking what is going on in the world. Bombings and shootings. Who can begin to understand it? When all this craziness started happening when my kids were small I would watch the news and read the stories online trying to understand.  I have come to the conclusion that I will never understand.  And because all this horrible news knocks my feet out from under my solid and dependable body I have chosen to no longer try to figure it out.  As soon as I clicked on the scenes in Boston and read that a child was involved I clicked out again.  So, I put my head in the sand and it is going to stay there.  I will hug my family and tell them how much I love them.  I will read your posts of struggles and triumphs but I just can't do it anymore.  The world and all its chaos is wearing me down and a big part of my anxiety and depression.  Though I need to be somewhat informed I no longer need to know the details. 

Last night I finished my income taxes.  I am getting back but it will go out of my bank account as soon as it goes in.  Damn that but still.  It is nice to get money back.  Every night I sleep in a warm bed next to my beloved.  My children are healthy and well. My son is laughing himself silly while watching "Community". My daughter is in the backyard sitting in the grass.  My beloved is upstairs watching the hockey game and hoping that the Leafs make it to the playoffs. The cats are doing cat things. We have food.  For the love of god, we own 5 computers for 4 people.  We are so rich.  Actually, speaking of computers, I am restoring one to its original manufacturers setting because it is totally screwed. At least I do no have to send it to Calcutta.

Oh! A bird flew in our house today.  Poor wee thing. I was on the phone at the time with Elections Canada and was yelling. "There's a bird in the house! There's a bird in the house!" My husband gently ushered her out and I called the election people back.  I am volunteering this year.  It is damn good pay for one day of work! 

The weather here has been glorious. Yes, we have had rain but Spring is on its way.  It feels over the last few weeks my mother's death is lifting. Oh, I miss her more than ever before but I am slowly coming to terms the way she died.  It was awful and horrible and a part of me died watching her die. But I have to step up to the plate.  I am now, at 42 the oldest woman in my family.  In May, I am going to be a grandma! (Though that has its own set of worries and problems.) In my opinion, I am far too young to be the oldest woman in my family but that is the hand I was dealt.  My options are to fold or to continue on in the game.

I have one question for everyone.  How often do you change the sheets on your bed?  I change mine every Monday. Last week I told my husband that I think they should be changed twice a week.  Not because they are dirty but because there is nothing quite so lovely as clean sheets. 

19 comments :

  1. I read once that Jackie O. had her sheets changed every time she took a nap. I have always remembered that and thought that if there was one thing that money COULD buy, it would be clean sheets every time I lay my body down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wash my sheets and change my sheets once a week because when I come home from work I don't sit or lay anywhere before either bathing or changing my work clothes (its something I got used to after living in NYC).
    It appears that the more advance we become as people the more barbaric some others become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you are the Clan Matriarch! And I'm glad you're getting a tax refund. Always nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I refuse to watch the news except for the local weather reports for just such a reason; it is beyond depressing to hear the media's "spin" on the tragedies that are happening in this world. I tend to get my news strictly online but even still it is difficult to find places that report the fact without adding their own personal conspiracy spins on things. And also, it is heartbreaking and depressing to see so much evil in the world and feeling powerless to do anything to stop it. Overwhelming at at times. Ignorance sometimes is bliss.

    Less overwhelming is the sheet issue: once a week in winter, twice a week when it turns Spring, but that's because I'm in the south, and everyone tends to get hotter and sweatier when the temperature gets hotter. If I had the energy, though, I would have clean sheets every day. I can't sleep in an unmade bed; I hate feeling all tangled up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right about those sheets! Life's too short for old sheets.

    And all these American massacres. We're even good at killing ourselves. And we have people who are so good at speaking up for the right to do that.

    Thanks for your big heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't watch it either, I become obsessive. Right now, I have enough on the go with my own stuff. Sounds selfish but I can't be sucked into the media vortex.

    Once a week here too. More if hubby's here, less if he isn't. I never stink up a bed. Lol!!

    Elections is a good gig! Stay away from the Census though. Omg that is a nightmare!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post -- we are indeed very rich and blessed. I think we'd all do a lot better to remember that and live every day with gratitude, then see how we can be a blessing to others!

    I don't know that I have a fixed day for changing the sheets -- I do it when I *sense* the need lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boston has been on my mind constantly. I can't read or watch anything more about it or I'll just go more nuts than I already am.

    Once a week. But I love having new ones in hotels every night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once a week here too, but if there was a clean sheet fairy I would have them changed every day.
    And yes, sometimes I despair of people. Often I despair. But there are also many, many good people. (And I cannot watch the 'in depth' coverage either). It changes nothing and hurts my heart and my head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all your kind comments on my blog. I understand you about all the terrible news at the moment, it's just too depressing to have to keep on dealing with all this crap.

    I don't tend to notice if the bed sheets are clean or not! I have no idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wash Dry Iron every Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the news...sometimes it's more than I can handle. I like to be informed, but there are many times that I don't want to know all the details. And as I get older, I'm becoming more and more sensitive to these things.

    Yes, we are truly blessed. It is something that I think about all the time, and something that I am so grateful for. We have way more than we need, and we should be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dad used to say "If I was rich I would have my sheets changed every day"..well, I was able to do that for him the last month of his life...he loved it! I change mine twice a week just because and think of my dad every time...xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watched the initial news reports of what happened in Boston and read an article or two online, but that's all I could handle. There will be more information come out in days and weeks to come and I'll listen to a bit of it but can't do it all day every day like some do.

    The answer to your question ... when I feel like it. And that's probably not as often as it should be, but I'm lazy like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Once a week is enough to change the bed sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have stopped questioning what goes on in this world too. It's scary to think that we live in a world where people will be too terrified to leave their homes. We will all just bar the windows and doors and live that way.

    But, there are more good people than bad, and we just have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My son LOVES Community and Parks and Rec...
    You are truly blessed, Birdie...
    We have all lost a loved one, and is never easy to get over...
    I change the pillowcases every other day, and the sheets every 4 days...
    I love clean sheets...and I love switching up my blankets, afghans etc...
    Call me crazy...
    But I'm clean and cozy...and crazy!!!

    Glad your are starting to come to terms with the loss of your Mom...
    It's a good thing...

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, just looking at your posts, after reading your nice comment and poem about burial on M-AJ's site. I stopped BW just prior to my teens, when mum and dad got back together and we moved house. PAs stopped around then too. Regards your comment on bombs etc, it is not new, indiscriminate bombs were set off by Anarchists in UK and Europe during the 1880s onward and the First World War was started by a bomb being thrown in a crowded street. All through the 1970s / 1980s, I was personally involved when the IRA killed and maimed all around us and I constantly worried about my wife who worked in central London then. Nothing is new, humans are not very inventive and many are just plain stupid. Bombing campaigns harden the victim’s resolve to fight. There has never been a case of anyone rolling over and surrendering.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Honestly...once a month. what can I say, I am lazy!

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18