Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Over the last few days I have spent, what seems like hours and hours in our yard. My body gets sore and tired quickly so I do the work in short bursts and then come in and rest. That said, I have loaded up 4 garbage cans of weeds. And as always with weeds, there are still a lot more to be done. I don't even know what I have done exactly but here are a few pictures.



This old toolbox was at the thrift store last week for a price of $20.00. Who would spend that amount on an old toolbox? I went back today and it was still there but without a price. The lady at the till gave it to me for $5.00 and I knew it needed to be loved by me. I brought it home and made it into a planter. 




This little box was also there. It looks like it must have been a high school student's woodworking project. Now it is a planter! 



A better view of the thrifted wheelbarrow, that is now...a planter!




My trusty gardening gloves. 


Chives.


Our yard. Another thing I did was built up the bed behind the swing with more large rocks and soil. Not sure what I am going to plant there yet. 


Today I also spread out the compost on this bed. Strawberries are already coming up and we will plant vegetables soon. 


And now I am tired and will go to bed but won't be able to sleep. 

13 comments :

  1. I spent two days in our garden at the weekend but you wouldn't know. It's a permanent battle at this time of year - but you seem to be winning!

    Lovely garden. I hope the weather is good enough this summer to let you enjoy time in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your planters - and your garden too. I have also been gardening. Weeding mostly. My father once told me 'If it grows well, it is a weed' and going by our garden at the moment he is probably right.
    I do hope you start to get more sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your planters. So unique! What a beautiful garden you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is beautiful, and shows so much promise! I love how you gave your thrifted finds new life -- really brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that tool box! Your yard is so nice, neat and well designed! Mine is, well coming along, but I don't dare show how awful it looks right now, well except for one or two parts. Take it easy with all that work, you are still healing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, this is such a busy time of year for gardeners. I like all your planters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a hell of a lot of work. Short bursts of awesome! What are you, the $6M woman? Call me ignorant, but I have never grown chives so I did not know that they had purple flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousMay 10, 2013

    Everything is so green and fresh looking! My yard is a lovely dirt-color. We need rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did such a lovely job. I really like all the planters you fixed up. Very creative.
    Sadlly, I haven't done anything in my yard since I last posted about being in my yard... for maybe an hour. :(
    This weekend, maybe? My hubby plants a small veggie/herb garden each year and should be about ready to go to the greenhouse for the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've done some fine work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well look at Miss Thrifty Gardener!!!
    Good for you Birdie...
    Keep up the good work...
    I love chives!!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The boxes look fantastic and you have inspired me to make some. We have loads of bits of wood knocking about the place, I'm going to have a go I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks alot, great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I am so jealous of your backyard! I need more plants in my life!!!

    Awesome work...and I know its a lot of work, so good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18