Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Well, last night I took my negative self to Al Anon.  It was, as always a good meeting.  We talked about an article from The Forum (the Al Anon magazine).  Sitting in a room of like-minded people always sets me back on the right path. It was especially nice because my mom's old sponsor was there.  I had not seen her since  before my mom died.  I expressed my gratitude to her for being such a good friend to my mom. 

Today we went on a day trip and had lunch out.  Normally I would have had a hamburger with cheese, fries and a Coke.  (Huge amount of points !)  Instead I had a chicken burger (open-faced) with a non-buttered bun, no mayo (which I never have anyway) and a side salad with a balsamic vinegarette dressing. You think I am going to say it was just as good, right? It wasn't. (I freaking love a hamburger and fries!) But it was very good.  One thing I have learned at Weight Watcher is when eating out decide what you will have ahead of time so I checked out their web-site.  It also says make a decision if it is just a meal out or a special meal out.  I made the decision that is was that it was just going to be a regular meal.  At the end of the meal it was only 5 Weight Watchers points. I can have 26 points a day.  In other words, I saved myself about 600 calories. Since starting just over 2 weeks ago I am down just shy of 5 pounds.  As I have said, I think this is a way of eating that I can actually learn to do and stick with.  I have never, ever felt that way about any diet before.  Yesterday I stared reading Women, Food and God and so far it is a lot of air with no substance. A lot of crying and carrying on about how horrible life was as a child and now we eat because of it.  The premise is true.  That is the way of addiction.  What I want to hear is your recovery not how eating a bowl of cold vegetable soup brings up memories of your childhood. Go to any second-hand book store and you will see stacks of diet books that were the book for six months until the next one came out.  Oprah is big on different diet books. Remember the Bob Greene one? She did a vegan diet too. Did she get on the Atkin's train?  South Beach?  It isn't just Oprah. I have got on then off different diets.  Who hasn't? 

Last night I had another terrible sleep.  I finally took a melatonin but had to wake up 5 hours later.  My daughter is travelling to the U.S. in February and I needed to mail away her application. The thing I had to do to get her a passport!  The whole process took several weeks because of all the hoops I needed to jump though.  When I was her age I could just enter the U.S.  Nobody needed a passport.  Anyway...it is just the way it is now. Nothing anyone can do about it.  

It is a weird week here because I am going to the movie again tonight.  My husband wants to see Lincoln so it will be another late night.  Will let you know how I like it.  I personally think it is going to have a very hard time competing with The Hobbit. 


10 comments :

  1. I'm curious to hear your thought's on the Lincoln movie. I haven't committed to seeing it yet...

    I have been off and on many different diets as well. I did weight watchers for a while but had a difficult time with it. I do much better with Atkins. I know I can't have sugar and virtually no carbs. That's easier for me to keep track of than the points. However, I know lots and lots of people who have had great success with Weight Watchers...

    Congrats to you on your lost pounds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! You will feel much better eating healthier - get addicted to it, even.

    Mr. RK had a hilarious conversation with people at work about my being vegan. They assumed I took political prisoners at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. And I will be interested to hear about Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over here we have Weight Watchers too but we also have another healthy eating group called Slimming World. It was Slimming World that I joined 2 years ago when I lost over 2 stone, the 2 stone I then put back on!

    Addiction is a terrible thing to overcome, I should know at one point I smoked, drank too much and overate. I'm still struggling with the last 2.

    Well done you for losing 5 lbs! x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will like the Lincoln movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made it to a meeting :) Congrats on the meal! That is a huge accomplishment, I struggle with those decisions everyday, every meal. Sigh.

    When I saw the Lincoln photo I thought I would see the Just for Today quote :0) We are as happy as we make up our minds to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ate a family sized bag of Cheetos today, and that was just the beginning. Effing hormones!
    I've often wondered about Al-Anon and if it would help me. I should look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Birdie, I'm happy that you are taking time to heal yourself and to take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Birdie your posts are as wonderful as I remember, whatever you write about. I have just returned to Blogville and have been reading your last zillion posts to catch up. Coming back to leave comments later ~ I have so much to relate to in your posts ~ right now my new blog head is spinning. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you made a good food choice. And congrats on the 5 lb. loss! I've been on assorted diets over the years. I guess the best one seems to be eating a little less, making better choices with what I do eat, and adding in a little exercise. Hmm... I better get to it.

    We went to Canada for our 20th anniversary, almost 10 years ago and didn't need any more than i.d. No issue at all crossing the border. These days I know you need more. We have passports because we needed them to go to Cancun about 5 years ago but our kids don't have them... yet, anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18