Saturday, April 28, 2012

Little Boxes

I first heard this song when I was about 17 and it changed my life.  Has anyone heard it before?  I am willing to bet Ms. Moon has.  Who else?  





Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses
All went to the university,
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and lawyers,
And business executives,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry,
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school,
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university,
Where they are put in boxes
And they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business
And marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

13 comments :

  1. I have heard it. I always thought that either Pete Seeger or Woody Guthrie wrote it. So there you go! Learn something every day. It is an awesome song, isn't it? So simple, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's an old favourite. Nice to be reminded of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is used as a mobile phone company advert here in the UK. I love it despite the advert not because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember this one well. And it is a beautiful and scarily accuration summation of many of our lives. No place for individuality...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you approach San Francisco from the south, you will still see the little boxes hugging the hillsides like row upon row of square pearls in a necklace. I always assumed the song was written about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. Love it. And they played it every week, sung by different musicians, on the show Weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, It’s Paula Devi from Ordinary Radiance,
    I don’t know if you’ve visited OR lately and read that I had an active stalker.
    As a result, I’ve closed that blog. Changes. Since I love writing a blog and treasure the friends I’ve made here, I’ve decided to open a new public blog.
    I won’t be posting as intimately as I’ve done on Ordinary Radiance and Through The Bamboo but hopefully it will strike your fancy.

    This new blog is called Maquillage du Jour. Come see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup.. knew it well back in the 60s by Pete Seger. I didn't know Malvina Reynolds wrote it though. Cool to hear it again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Birdie. Yes I remember this well. I also had only heard Pete Segersig it. Funny, I remember listening to this from a lofty perspective, thinking I was above it all, beyond it all and that it was never going to be me. Then it was me and I did live in the ticky tacky box, and I spent many years there and now I see it all as sort of endearing and long a little for it again. Go figure. Thanks for this trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first time I heard this was recently as it is the theme song for the show Weeds. And each week they have someone different people sing it. They have a rapper one week...zydeco one week....it's the best part of the show! Here's one intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W6dOEdEAAQ

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard this one, I like it though! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. Have you seen the claymation video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SADPuUYF_4I

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with everybody. Great song. I love this Malvina Reynolds version.

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18