Thursday, March 28, 2013

The last few days I have been feeling a post coming on but I keep hesitating to write it. I do not want to offend any of my readers in the U.S. However, I have to say what I feel.

What is going in in the U.S. right now is just unbelievable.  Specifically, I am speaking about the decision to not make a decision. More specifically, there is a select group of people who are not allowed to marry the person of their choosing. 

Martin Luther King wrote this letter from the Birmingham jail.  I know it is wordy but please read it slowly and don't skim. 

We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. Frankly, I have yet to engage in a direct action campaign that was "well timed" in the view of those who have not suffered unduly from the disease of segregation. For years now I have heard the word "Wait!" It rings in the ear of every Negro with piercing familiarity. This "Wait" has almost always meant "Never." We must come to see, with one of our distinguished jurists, that "justice too long delayed is justice denied."

I read this and my frustration increases.  How long can the right to marry a person you love be put off? 

Which brings me to the second part of my post.  

Last week I read a post about being whether or not I am proud of my country and why or why not. You know what? Yes, dammit I am!  In Canada we have Universal Health Care and anyone can marry  the person they love.  It goes without saying that there are some things that I do not make me proud to be Canadian but these two issues alone make me love my home and I fly a flag in front of my home with pride.  I am a child of the earth first and my love for all people comes before my love of Canada. The world would be a better place if we could take away all the imaginary lines that make a country and separate us.  But since those lines are there I am proud to live in a set of lines where discrimination is against the law.

Yesterday while helping my son with his homework we were talking about the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms which was written into the Canadian Constitution in 1982.  


Section 15 - Equality Rights

  1. Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.  (The courts have held that section 15 also protects equality on the basis of other characteristics that are not specifically set out in it. For example, this section has been held to prohibit discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.                       
  2. Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.
Are you still with me? That makes it unequivocally clear. 

My wish today is that the powers that be in the U.S. will stop saying "wait".  

17 comments :

  1. Great post!
    I would love to see my gays friends having the chance to married if they choose to and to have the same protection that I had when I was married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Wait" , wait for what? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Birdie. Only last night I was trying to explain to Mike how frustrated I was that there were any borders. How I couldn't understand how as people of Earth we couldn't forget borders and share resources. I ended up crying with frustration that all humans don't have exactly the same rights to food, health care and the chance to live life.
    I'm waffling again. X X X

    ReplyDelete
  4. The US is a very strange and very large country and our population is hugely diverse. I know that eventually we will end up more enlightened but my god, it is taking a long time.
    We look to you Canadians to see how things CAN be done and as a good example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hear, hear, Birdie! And thanks for another artistic comment at my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, thought-provoking post. We have made huge changes over the years, and I'm quite proud of that. I'm sure our neighbours to the south will move forward on many issues in time. Hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you!! I hope one day we'll look back and say, "Why the hell did we ever think this was an issue?" Or more like, "Why did we discriminate against people for so long?" It's high time this shit ended.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have more than or fair share of idiots down here. They inspired the "Mean People Suck" bumper sticker, but somehow they are proud of this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And that the powers that be in Australia would come to the party too. We have universal healthcare (though it could usefully be expanded to include dental care) but we are being recalcitrant on being fair to homosexual couples. For goodness sake, what harm could it do? No-one is suggesting it becomes compulsory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh well said!

    Personally I have never understood how people who claim to be guided by a book that includes the words: "But now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is love." could deny two people who love each the right to show that love.

    (It also amazes me how many of those same people assume that I haven't read that particular book, just because I choose not to follow it. )

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS. What really annoys me over here (UK) is that we have this thing called a 'civil partnership', designed to be a sort-of marriage for gay couples.

    It actually creates a situation where both parties are equal: nobody has to give up their name; no-one has the right to make unilateral decisions on behalf of both parties, etc. But I CAN'T CHOOSE TO HAVE ONE because I'm not gay.

    Many gay couples don't see it as a 'proper' marriage. As a heterosexual woman I don't think marriage is that great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not offended by your post at all. I've got a relative who is in a LBGT relationship and they each have one child. The kids were born after a fifteen year long relationship. One mom stayed home while the other mom worked. They aren't legally married; they can't be legally married. As a result, one of the children can't be covered for health care, one spouse cannot be covered for health care, if one of them dies, the estate taxes are going to be unbelievable because everything is going to a non family member. The worst part is that if there is a break up the children can be separated from each other or from a parent because there is no law protecting their rights as a product of this marriage.

    This needs to be changed. Religion should not dictate the law.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think EVERYONE should be given a card like for Costco and you get to put one person on it as the co-card member. For gay and hetro-sexual couples. Lots of people don't want to get married for financial or just the principle of it but you give up a lot of rights ...straight or gay. It could be so simple..like most things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To think any one person (or political group of people) have the authority to deny someone (or a group) a basic civil liberty is beyond my comprehension. It's appalling. You can pack an AK47 into a school and shoot little kids but gay people cannot marry? Ludicrous. Replace the word gay with "woman" or "colored person", America. Civil rights issue, not religion, not god's will. Civil rights. Be civil.

    OMG this makes me crazy. Hilary 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely agree! There are many things I love about my country, the USA, but there are also things that take wayyyyy tooooo much time to accomplish. The battles that go on with the two major political parties and the corporate lobbyists, etc. etc. make some things, some very common sense things, just a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This entire post was amazing and had to be written. Thank you Birdie! I am also proud of being Canadian and I simply just do not understand the discrimination towards same sex couples and marriage (or all the other reasons they are discriminated against).

    People need to grow up, thats what I think. The world and all the problems in it are a much bigger issue than who gets to marry whom.

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18