Friday, March 15, 2013

Here I am in Vancouver.  North Vancouver to be specific.  Gordon Lightfoot in just under 4 hours.  I have been awake since last night at 6:30. It would have been a good idea to have a nap but I had a cup of coffee earlier and now I can't nap so I will end up being awake for about 30 hours after all is said and done.  And because I am so tired I have nothing witty or interesting to say.  The humour bank is empty.  Empty!


OK , here is a story instead. When I was in kindergarten and up to grade 3,  two of my best friends were boys.  One of the boys name was Kamaljeet.  Kamaljeet was from India and used to go on trips and bring back peacock feathers for the entire class.   He and I used to hide inside the classroom while the entire class was sent outside.  We would hide under a huge orange desk and hold hands while we giggled together. His skin was very brown but I never noticed.  My other best friend was a boy that would forget to wear his shoes home even in the pouring rain.  He loved to lay on his tummy and spin and spin and spin on his desk.  Bobby was a slow learner.  I never noticed.  Both boys moved I guess because I don't remember them after grade 3 and neither of them are in my class pictures.  What was so beautiful back then was not even noticing someone was different.   Life back then was so pure.  Kamaljeet was just a boy that I later noticed had brown skin and Bobby was just a boy that taught me how to spin on my tummy on top of my desk.  (It was really fun!) What I wouldn't give to go back to those days when my eyes and ears were clean and had not been shown that people are different.  Who did I learn the differences later on?  Not sure to be honest.  It wasn't at home because I don't  remember a single racist or unkind word about anyone in my home.   Was it the teacher that sharply reprimanded Bobby for his glee and silliness?  Was it other school children that called Kamaljeet a Paki? Oh, that word even hurts to write.  

As an adult I am not without my own prejudices   If I find out someone is on welfare and has the ability to work I have a lot to say and it is mean, nasty and judgmental.  There are Vietnamese in my community that I judge with one stroke of the brush. Here is the thing.   I don't want to be this way but at the same time my self-righteousness comes out  and I feel entitled to my beliefs.  I am also very ashamed because love for all starts HERE my friends.  It starts here.  

13 comments :

  1. Gordon Lightfoot!!! oh man!! i'm soooo incredibly envious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recognizing when we paint with a broad brush is more than most people do.

    I learned a lot about stereotypes being exposed to them at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to think that I am without prejudice - but that is a delusion. Instead I do my best to fight it each time I become aware of it.
    I hope that Gordon Lightfoot is WONDERFUL, and that you soon get some sleep again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessed blogger told me it would not publish my comment - and then did so four times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all have prejudices that we learn from somewhere - whether it's our parents, teachers, society, experience. I try not to - but I still find myself judging some people without reason.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the beauty with children; how innocent and accepting they are. And then society comes along and screws it all up! :)

    Don't be too hard on yourself. The fact that you are aware of this is already a big step forward. I don't think anyone is without prejudices. We're all guilty of it. But if we are aware and working on it, it's a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you are sleeping now. Good lord, that's crazy to stay awake so long!
    When I was in third grade I remember drawing a picture of a princess and thinking it was the best artwork I'd ever done. Grade 3 was a magical time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are an amazing woman Birdie. I really mean that. People could learn a lot from you, a lot xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being aware of the judgements we make is all we need to keep them from causing any harm. I thought i was pretty non-judgemental however I do judge harshly the individuals in our millionaire goverment who went to private school and do not know or care about what it feels like to be poor and out of work! There. I am human and make harsh judgements too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think what you said was very interesting! Keep writing, dear one. I admire that you keep your blog current. Mine is usually a sad mess. *sigh*
    Yay, Gordon Lightfoot. I remember some of his music.

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18