Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Commandment Number 8

I forgot to confess the most dastardly of sins.  I stole something.  A hospital gown.  When I was in the hospital I was wearing a gown and it was so comfy!   So I stole it. Actually, I got my husband to get a clean one and that is the one I stole.  At home I wear pyjamas.  There hasn't been a nightie in my night time attire in over 20 years. The one I stole wraps all the way around so my bum doesn't hang out and because I am not very tall it goes to my shins.  I had every intention of returning it but now I think I might just keep it.  Or not.  Guilt will make me give it back.

Yesterday we went to the bakery and I got some chocolate hot cross buns.  Whoever decided to put chocolate in hot cross buns deserves to be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. Be it either in chemistry or medicine, I don't care but they are good enough to change the world. I hope they ate some before the ruling in the U.S. Supreme Court today.  

Today I planned to stay in my pyjamas  hospital gown all day but I remembered I have to take my son to an appointment   It is probably for the best because it is after 2:00 and I feel very gross and lazy.  Normally I don't have a problem with taking it easy but I have always been one to at least get dressed at some point during the day.


My dad brought over my papa's WW 2 medals and I have looked up what they all mean but there is one that has me stumped. It was given after the war was over but I am not sure what the reason.  Will have to keep looking.




13 comments :

  1. I was tempted to steal a gown the last time I was in hospital but I didn’t. Mainly because a nurse was in the room when I got dressed.
    I probably would be making myself sick with guilt now if I had taken it home with me.

    I just read about your aunt. What’s wrong with wanting chocolate? You’d hate me. I always want chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the Canadian healthcare system goes belly up due to spiraling out of control hospital gown costs, we'll know who to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame on you, Birdie...hahaha...
    When ever we used to visit the dr...me and the kids would always look thru the drawers and take stuff...like...tongue depressors, rubber gloves...you know...the kind of stuff REALLY worth stealing!!!
    Another of our VERY BEST tricks, was to write our birthdays on the calendars in the waiting rooms!!
    We used to LAUGH...kinda silly now...but HILARIOUS then!!

    Our Dr even used to wish us happy birthday, if we visited near the date!!!

    How did the visit with your dear sweet Aunt go????

    Did you give her one of the delectable chocolate hot cross buns???

    Hope you are feeling better...

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a very comfy blanket that I "borrowed on a permanent basis" from my last stay at the hospital and I don't feel one bit guilty for it! Especially as I'm pretty sure my insurance company was charged about 50 bucks for it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are right about chocolate in hot cross buns. If people ate them right before decisions were made, or laws were created, we would be living in utopia. No doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my mom was in the final stages of cancer, she ended up in the hospital for the afternoon, and when she came home, she was in a hospital gown.

    She was on loads of medication and out of it, but at one point she was kind of lucid, and got all upset, saying "I'm gonna go to hell" over and over, really upset.

    We finally figured out - she realized she was in the hospital gown, and was upset because she "stole" it and now she was gonna burn in hell.

    You haven't truly had a surreal experience, until you've tried to reassure your dying mother, who is barely lucid due to the painkillers she is on, that no, she won't burn in hell forever, because she stole a hospital gown, and promising her that you will take it back to the hospital eventually.


    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear this is a first. I have never, ever heard of ANYONE who found hospital gowns comfortable (or even decent). If the one you liberated fits you, keep it. You will be protecting some other soul from the shame of a bum hanging out of a gown which nearly reaches their knees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha.. I was thinking the same thing as Elephant's Child! I trust the one you stole is not the sort which is all open in the back? Still, if you love it and it helps you feel better, keep it -- well, till you're all better :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A comfortable, well-fitting hospital gown... that has GOT to be a first. Whenever I'm in the hospital, I always wear two of those little mini suckers... the first one with the opening in the back, and the second one on top of the first, with the opening in the front. They're still too damned short though...! Don't stress yourself with thoughts of theft... as long as you're enjoying your ill-gotten gains, that's all that matters. And... once in a while, do try spending the entire day in your sleeping duds... you may just get to like it! ~8-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ave never heard of hospital gowns being comfy!! Wow!

    And I hear you about the getting dressed thing...I spend days sometimes in my pjs, it gets depressing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't imagine a hospital gown that's comfy. They usually leave me chilly in the nether regions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Birdie, it happens! None of us are without sin!
    I hope that you enjoy your day and your cross buns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't know what medal your papa got after the war, but my dad got one from France after the war. We went to France around Bastille day, and drove the Normandy coast. Canadian, (Oh how we love Canada, it's a Katrina thing.), flags were everywhere. Y'all landed all over the French coast and to this very day those people fly your flag in honor of your help. Perhaps your papa got that French D-Day medal?

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18