Monday, March 19, 2012

My Grandpa Used to Say...

Cute duck picture is from Cute Overload.  Go there
if you are ever feeling down.
http://cuteoverload.com/ 
Der spring is sprung 
Der grass is riz 
I wonder where dem boidies is? 

Der little boids is on der wing, 
Ain't dat absoid? 
Der little wings is on de boid! 



My grandpa used to love Spring.  And he would say this poem over and over.  I was only 9 when he died but I remember him saying this little poem and I remember how much he loved me.  When I was little I thought he wrote it. I am still not convinced he didn't.  I still don't know who did write it and I don't care. In my world he thought it up.  He did. 


I have been thinking about getting a dog (but don't tell Ms. Moon because she will think it is a horrible idea).  I have it narrowed down to a mixed breed.  A sort of terrier/poodle/lab thing.  When I tell people I am thinking of getting a dog I get mixed reviews.  One group of people think it is an excellent idea because pets bring healing.  The other group of people think it is a terrible idea because I should not be making any major decisions in the first year.
  
I am also saving up to buy a hot tub. The one I want is a hydrotherapy tub.  I want a small one because I am simply not the type to have a hot tub party however even a small one is going to be around $6000.00.  But here is the thing.  Before I got the job I am currently at I had been living below the poverty line.  I have been so poor in the past that I could not afford to buy food.  There are times when I could not afford to eat more than one meal a day.  I have always bought my clothes at thrift stores.  I had not been on a holiday in about 20 years.  Now I can afford the hot tub but I am afraid to spend the money.  What if I lose my job?  Unless you have lived in poverty it is hard to understand the fear of spending money.  I have lived in poverty before and it could happen again.  When you have lived in desperate times you learn desperation. Right now I am giving monthly donations to Hospice.  I promised myself if I ever had money I would support an organization I believed in but right now I can't seem to feeling OK about spending so much money on myself.  This is not a question of feeling whether or not I deserve this.  I have no problems with my self-worth.  It is not a question of need.  I know this purchase will be a good one.  I have suffered panic and anxiety my whole life and a hot tub is better than been addicted to ativan.   I know a hot tub will also help me sleep. Anyway, I have saved about 1/3 of the cost.  I guess I will see what happens. 


Now go to Cute Overload.

14 comments :

  1. This is the eternal struggle isn't it? I think that women in particular find it harder to spend money on themselves, but it looks to me like you have balanced things out - you have already thought of those less fortunate than you, and you are aware of how situations can change, so this obviously isn't an impulse buy. All points to a big YES BUY THE TUB from me!
    p.s. Your 'Grandpa's poem' and the duckling has left me with a huge grin on my face - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you started is post is funny and gives a good way, a feeling to embrace spring.

    I can relate to poverty as I've been there. I was telling my friend yesterday about a miracle I experienced when I had no food to eat.

    Coincidentally, on Saturday my partner and I ventured to a home show where hot tubs were on display. I hope you'll reach your goal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you pay cash for the tub then it is paid for. Period. Enjoy! I've gotten to the point where I treat myself in spite of my low income level. Just bought 4 rose bushes with my last check. Frivolous? Who cares. It's therapy in the long run for me seeing those gorgeous roses, tending to them, and having beautiful bouquets in my kitchen window to gaze at when I'm slaving over dinner or/and dishes. Cheaper then a shrink and better on your liver than psychotropics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the hot tub is a grand idea. And if you love dogs, then I'd say go for that, too. If you have even one iota of not-loving dogs, then absolutely don't get one.

    That's my advice for the day, for what it's worth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've come from Zuzana's and had to say hello! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same way about spending money - I was low-income (sounds better than "poor" - ha) for too darn long to feel comfortable about spending money now.

    As far as the dog goes, how about fostering for a local rescue group? It could be kind of a test run. (Disclaimer - I do pet foster care. So I try to enlist everyone I know. Foster! Is fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a "portable" hot tub, which means it sits above ground. It's a lot cheaper, I think. I gave it away when I moved as this house has a hot tub by the pool. I've yet to use it as it's a pain to heat and rough concrete inside. I miss my old hot tub.
    When you are stressed and you can relax and enjoy the dark and solitude in warm water, beneath the stars, you can't put a price on that.
    Dogs are priceless too and you know you want something to nurture. There's no harm in that. You could foster-to-adopt and take your time with a final decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't lived in poverty, but I was a single mum with very little money. I have a hard time spending money as well, worried that I will be destitute one day, so I save. I bought a car this year though and was proud of myself, for spending the money, for believing in the future.

    Buy the hot tub when you've got the money saved up. Sounds like you'll get good use out of it.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For two years I lived with my family on our monthly salary for three weeks and the last week we would struggle to make do until our next salary... thank goodness we are out of that but now that Thai government is asking us for around 10500 US dollars for tax because our previous school did not tax us enough. To pay that, we need to take a load and budget big time which will affect our summer plans and the rest of the months this year... we never saw this coming and it was such a shocker to see that amount written on paper... so my advice to anyone is to save every month if you can and only buy such luxuries when you have over and above the amount you need to spend for the tub. So if the tub is 6000 dollars... then save up to 10000 and then go for it... this way you would have 4000 on the side... just a thoughts from a person who has been stung...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do know the afraid to spend money...nowadays it is and unsure economy. Whatever you do, I am sure you will be fine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy do I know a few things about poverty, like looking for pennies people have dropped on the street to get bus fare poverty. One of the most important things for me was to own my own home. When we got the money to buy the house, we had no doubts. Once you get the money for your hot tub and you are able to comfortably and happily pay for it then you know it is the right thing for you. If it doesn't feel right, just keep saving money and wait, the right thing to spend your money on will come to you in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I really love reading about your thoughts. And I am curious as to what spam you are experiencing? Can you tell me how you visit my page? Are you using Google, or do you click on my profile and go to my blog? I hope you could send me a reply on this.

    Now, as for the dog, I'm an advocate of adopting, and I suggest that you get one from the shelter. Here's a tip, when searching for a dog, find one that is of your energy level. Try to choose candidates and see them interact with each other. Most labradors are active and would love daily walks and exercises. I have a Miniature Pinscher-Jack Russel Mix, she's wonderful and independent.

    And try taking this test first http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html

    You don't need to necessarily choose a particular breed, but at least you'll have an idea as to what you want from a dog and what breed suits your personality.

    Next, good luck on your hydrotherapy tub. I am not yet below poverty line and I am praying that I would not have to endure such as I have in my childhood.

    Well, this is it for now.

    Huggies and Cheese,

    Haopee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl..we have lots and lots in common! We have both suffered the loss of a parent recently and believe me when I say you are NOT suppose to be over it in four months! The only thing that gets me through some days is knowing that my dad would not want me to be sad...he wants me to be happy and carry on...but some times it is just so darn hard! I know exactly what you are talking about...we have to hang in there together and we will get through it.Some days I just tell myself I have to tough it out...Write about it...or take time off from writing...whatever works right now for you. Wish you were close enough we could sit on my front porch...get some sun...and talk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You'll 'get over it" when you get over it... and no sooner so stop thinking you have to be on some kind of time-table. Or maybe you won't ever stop missing your wonderful mother... I haven't stopping missing my dad and it's been over 30 years, but at least the grief is gone.
    As for a dog... doing a foster care is a great idea because most dogs are like adding a kid to the family and perhaps you don't want more responsibility right now... I'd get the hot tub and jump in and think about it some more. Hugs to you, girlie!

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18