Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Snatam Kaur - Ong Namo





I am not Sikh. I am not even sure what Sikh's believe exactly.  I guess I should. I am a Quaker. I do not go to a temple, church or other holy place. I worship at home. Listening to this artist pour her heart out to her creator makes me realize all of us are wanting to see the face of God. We all want the same. So simple. 


Namaste


Oh my beloved
Kindness of the heart 
Breath of life I bow to you
And I'm coming home,
And I'm coming home
And I'm coming home, 
And I'm coming home
Oh my beloved 
Kindness of the heart
Breath of life,
I bow to you
Divine Teacher Beloved Friend
I bow to you Again and again!
Lotus sitting on the water (Guru dev guru dev namo) 
Beyond time and space (Guru dev guru dev namo)
This is your way (Guru dev guru dev namo) This is your grace (Guru dev guru dev namo) 
Ong namo guru dev namo Ong namo
This is your way Guru dev namo This is your way..

4 comments :

  1. I don't know what the Sikhs believe, either, but that music is beautiful - haunting and hopeful and filled with love and awe at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful :) I live in an area with a large Sikh community and I find that overall they are gentle, lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful Birdie... how did you come about it? I went to a Buddhist temple today and was touched by their spirituality... yes, we all want the same thing...which makes us all so similar to one another... lovely lovely post... you made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have really been looking at the sikh religion - a lot of my religion teaching at work has had to take in comparative religion and every time i have taught it, i ahve wanted to know more and more. there is a real gentle, sense of family and community and i really love it. anyone can visit and be welcomed at the gurdwara to eat and i love that sense of looking after everyone.
    I have come across people of all faiths who take it to extremes - but on the whole every sikh i have met has been lovely. I had a sikh surgeon perform my em c section and he was lovely.
    It is very much something i would like to develop, not least because it has strong roots in india and yoga - their worshipping songs are kirtan and my yoga community have a monthly kirtan session which is amazing - so relaxed and uplifting and we also recite mantras to relieve suffering. If you can find a kirtan session in your area i would really reccommend it. i hope to take my toddler soon as the kids come too and love the music. I practised some of the mantras one day with my yoga teacher and our toddlers were there and they really got down and groovy.

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18