I had to tell my kids tonight. I mean, they already knew. I have done my best as a mom to prepare them for this over the last few years. But tonight I had to tell them that Nana's time on earth is coming to an end. But how can I prepare them when I am not prepared myself? My daughter is 13 and has tears but she deals with things differently than I do. She is strong. Or maybe she is just not understanding the finality of it all. My son is 15 and has always been a wise person. My son who now towers over me. My son who has such strength of character sobbed. He initially hid his grief. Once when he was a young boy I decided to clean his room and get rid of some of his stuffed toys. I went looking for him 20 minutes later and couldn't find him. He was hidden wrapped up with all the stuffed toys and crying. He was not ready to let them go. Tonight when I told him that Nana was nearing the end he did much the same thing. He went into the bathroom and quietly gave way to his grief. I called him out and asked him to come and sit with me. He at first refused, he wanted to hide his grief. He came from the other room, eyes red and tears streaming down his face. My tall strong son, broken. I put my arms around him and told him he did not need to hide away the hurt. We sat for several minutes and now he is in bed. I can hear him sniffing. My mother heart wants to go to him and tell him everything is going to be ok. But, it isn't going to be okay. This is going to cause pain for a long time, maybe for the rest of his life as Lana can attest to. I realize one of the awful lessons we need to each our children is how to hurt, how to grieve. It is a hard lesson. But it is my job to teach them to open their hearts and allow the pain to flow out.
Namaste

Birdie, trust that their pain will be an opening of their hearts as well. It can be a catharsis as well, and from that cleansing many new hopes and paths can arise. When Husband's grandparents were killed tragically in a car crash when he was about 10 or 11, he started writing poetry to deal with the emotions.
ReplyDeleteI hope you and your children and family find comfort and healing in your grief
(((HUGS)))
Judy, South Africa
Birdie... from someone who knows how your children might be going through, know this... you are a wonderful caring and supportive mother and they are lucky to have you... You did not hide the true nature of the situation... you gave them time for the reality to sink in ... you prepared them for the worst, Allowing them to cry and feel the pain is the first step to healing... the pain will never go away but at least they have a safe haven where they can go, trust and not be strong for a while... and as Judy said, there are so many ways to release that pain... and they will find a way to do so...my heart goes out to you, your children and your family.... May you have the strength to face the inevitable. My heart is with you... my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteYou are beautiful, and it sounds like you have done a wonderful job of your children. I am so sorry that you are all hurting.♥
ReplyDeleteI wish I could have done for my family what you have done for yours. Due to divorce, my children were left to muddle through as best they could. I will always be saddened by that.
ReplyDeletemuch love to you - so sorry you have to go through this. and that your children do.
ReplyDeleteit is so hard now - but i sincerley feel that if they continue to be given the space to grieve and the opportunity at any time, it will actually open them into stronger, kinder and move emotionally open individuals. In their turn, they can use their own positive experience to support others in the future ( when i say positivem no death is positive - but the way that we deal with it can make a massive difference - i remember my husband talking about his grandad one day soon after we got together - and bursting into tears because he had never been allowed to talk about it or be upset about it. there was a good ten years between him dying and the day my hub cried with me.)
Perhaps they can make memory books now that they can share with your mum now - so that they not only get to remember amazing times - but also that she gets to know what mattered to them as well - healing and bonding for all involved ?
much love
xxx