Sunday, June 12, 2011

They Had Eighteen Children!

Have I mentioned yet that one of my interests is genealogy?  Well if I have not you just have to ask anyone who knows me outside blogland and they will probably roll their eyes and tell you to run away while you can before I start in on my family. 


With a lot of help I have been able to trace back to the 1700's.  I have pictures of all my grandparents on my paternal side.  The people on the left are my great, great, great, great grandparents.  They came here from England in 1854.  They lost a seven year old son on the way here to a "throat ailment"  which I think may have been Diphtheria. He was buried a sea.  Can you imagine?  I don't know how they did it.  They came to work in the coal mines, hoping to find their Utopia but died poor.   They had a daughter with them named Eliza who married a man named William.  Eliza was an itty-bitty woman full vim and vinegar.
She married this man.  His name is William.  See the two dogs in the picture?  They were his seeing-eye dogs. William was not born blind.  He also worked in the coal mines. He was blinded by a premature explosion.  Undaunted he and his wife Eliza opened a grocery store. Eliza hired natives to take her to get supplies. It was around trip of 225 km.  She went by canoe!  William stayed behind and made deliveries around town.  How the heck did he do that you ask?  He was blind!  This smart man trained his dog, Carlo to lead the horses and wagon around town. When they arrived at a scheduled stop Carlo barked and the customers came out to get their groceries!  Clever dog! 
This is his wife, Eliza.  You can tell she is about 4 1/2 feet tall.  After William lost his sight she not only went by canoe to get supplies but she and William went on to have EIGHTEEN children.  Dear god in heaven!  William never "saw" any of his children.  Apparently blindness does not affect other things.   I don't know how either of them did it. 
 Anyway, this week I received a CD with over 200 pictures of ancestors from a distant cousin. We have not yet found out how we are related except we were both related to the above people.  For a genealogist it is like striking gold!  I keep looking at the pictures.  They are amazing.   I am so excited to add the pictures to my family tree!

9 comments :

  1. Uh...WOW! I think genealogy is fascinating. I'd love to learn more of my own. I do know that my great grandma gave birth to 13 children and 3 died. But 18! What a history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AMAZING! To trace and see your roots in this way is powerful. You come from some mighty stock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW... THANK YOU for sharing such an amazing story of your ancestors... Eliza and William sounds like an interesting and awesome couple... makes you wish you had met them... she had such courage to travel so far to get supplies and all... amazing AND on top of that raise 18 children... we struggle with two... who in the world did they do it with 18... God provides I guess... wow! and super exciting for you to discover all this about your family tree...

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 12, 2011

    This is amazing! Genealogy is so fascinating to me. I only have bits and pieces of my family history. My parents were clueless about all of that stuff (eye roll).

    Treasure what you have dug up and pass it on with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is facinating! I love the story of Eliza and William. Have you pictures and stories of their children also?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is absolutely amazing! What wonderful stories. People were so strong, they didn't have the opportunity to sit around and whine, they had to get out and just keep on keepin on. Just Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good that you have a view on life which is not concerned with your current troubles. These people, your ancestors, must have been very strong and competent, as you are too.

    You come from sturdy stock, you will survive intact, whatever things might look like now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sturdy couple! I am amazed by what they endured and in what times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely amazing! I never have the time to dig but I did get on the internet one night and as a fluke typed in Frank Daley Wyoming and hit the jack pot. My dad Is Frank Daley Jr. and I found a cemetery web sight where most of the ancestors were buried and many had obituaries. Pioneer settlers and cow boys...one attacked by Indians but escaped at Foote Creek. Now I know where i get my tenacity and sense of adventure from!

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18