Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cold Lemonade with a Touch of Vodka

I am so done with today and it is only 4:30.  I got up this morning and took the chickadees to school.  Came home.  Did a bunch of change of addresses.  Made an appointment to donate blood which I hate doing because it scares me.  But I know how important it is so I do it anyway. Still, I hate it. Spoke to my mom's new gynecological oncologist. (I love her.)  I made appointments to get windows in our new home.  I was checking things off my checklist left, right and centre.  I went to work and took a client out, took another client from Wednesday and saw her today instead.  Picked up the chickadees at school.  Picked up some groceries.  Came home. Phone rang 3 times within five minutes of coming through the door. I then called the oncology department.  I called my mom's lab to set up a home visit.  I called oncology again. The lab called me back.  My mom called.  My fiance called to cancel an appointment for tomorrow.  And now!  And now,  I am drinking some cold lemonade with a dash of vodka.  I am not much of a drinker and have had the bottle of vodka left over from a friends birthday in February.  I was glad to have it today!   
When I spoke to my mom's oncologist the news was the same.  No more treatment.  She did say something different from the Internist.  She said she does not believe in giving a time limit on how long her patients have to live.  She said she doesn't do it because they are often wrong.  So why did the Internist do it?  Remember that post?  The horrible telling was so unprofessional from a doctor that did not even know my mom.  Anyway, the Oncologist is now saying they do not know.  I am angry at the Internist for doing something he had no right to do. He has no idea what he has put our family through.  The thing is, he is likely right or not too far off but so much of this should have been handled better.  I will be speaking to the Palliative department in our city about how poorly this was handled.  
OK, I am tired and rambling.  


Namaste.

13 comments :

  1. I know it's no help but I'm here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I am exausted just thinking about what went into your day. Cheers on your vodka and lemonade. Congratulations on the new house. I get your anger over that internist. The oncologist is right about time and how it works. Your mom is feeling stable and has some wonderful things she is exited about - she is being, even in her condition, fully alive.

    This Friday the 17th is my youngest daughters birthday. During my pregnancy I developed serious heart disease and was kept in intensive care for 3 months. When the dr came in with his diagnosis and finished telling me what I had he also said that I probably would not live through the delivery and if I did I would be some level of a vegetable. And then he walked out.
    That was 37 years ago! But still, I am grateful for every day no matter what.

    You and your entire family have so many bessings falling on you amidst all the pain. I hope your sister has an easy birth.

    Barbara, I need to tell you that while reading your previous post I was filled with such happiness and just keep smiling. I am happy for this turn of events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading your title made me go, "I want some!" I hope you're feeling a little better now...quite a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need some run and coke too!
    We do have busy lifes and I think your is one of the busiest ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh... vodka lemonade... I love the ones in Canada... I think they are called Mike's Lemonade?
    You have had one busy day... talk about how efficient you are ... you must have been really organized to juggle all those errands you had... wow!
    as for your mom... I understand how you would feel if someone put a time limit... it is extremely important for a doctor just to say, we will see... and not put a limit on a person's life... they are not a god are they... so no one knows... and no one knows how a patient would react to a situation... each patient is different... not two are the same... anyway... I am so glad that your mother has taken a turn for the better and that she will soon meet your newest neice... so exciting! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phew! Feet up too I hope?

    The past few months since the internist spoke to you all about your Mom's condition, has been such a difficult and painful time. Now you have reached this point and to be told something different...it must be difficult to comprehend.

    I certainly agree that feedback about what has happened is essential. The doctor(and patients) would benefit from reflecting on how he/she could do things differently.

    Exciting times ahead for you all too with a new baby due any minute. So glad that your Mom is going to be able to share this. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI There,
    I just noticed that you are following me, so i came to check you out.
    Hello!
    So far i've only read one of your blog posts this one about you VERY long day.
    I gather from your post that your mom is has cancer. I'm so sorry. Is it ovarian?
    You may have read my post about my mom passing... For her it was cancer as well. She had what they call metastasized breast cancer. She was diagnosed two years before she passed. Having beaten breast cancer for exactly ten years.
    It is so hard to have someone you love go thru the horrible pain of cancer.
    You will be in my thoughts today.
    xo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes you had a busy day, wow. Hope you got to rest, sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a day! Phew....

    Long ago I gave up on the medical establishment and latched onto the idea that ignorance is bliss. The God-playing fills me with so much anger and resentment, that I'm not really open to what doctors have to offer. My father's mother was given a life expectancy of six months when she was first diagnosed with cancer. She lived for another 25 years. Who's to say what our time is? Doctors and medical folks would do well to remember to be humble. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are days when I come home from work and poor myself a good and strong gin and tonic.;)) We all need a dash of alcohol at times to get us through those tougher days.;) Hang in there.;))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. there are no timetables, are there? never. it's foolish for anyone to try to press us into schedules. i'm sorry for your anger.

    enjoy every moment.

    wishing you some light.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousJune 18, 2011

    Many doctors are not good with discussing end of life care. Medicine seems to view death as the enemy instead of the natural thing that it is. We're born, we live, we die.

    It's okay to be angry, it's a normal part of grief Birdie. Been there, done that. I hope your mom is able to live her last days to the fullest and dies with dignity and grace. Something I wish for all of us.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I would have had Vodka with a splash of Lemonade... I HATE (as an RN) when anyone in the medical profession gives a time limit because is my experience too many patients take the MD's word as the word of a god and then give up around the time limit. No one knows when they are going to die irregardless of the diagnoses....I knew 2 therapists both of whom were diagnosed with cancer, same type. Both given weeks. The first one said screw you and refused chemo and lived life as healthy as possible and to the fullest. The second one took chemo. The second one died in 3 weeks. The first one lived 7 years. They both died on the same day ironically.

    ReplyDelete

Come Let Us Reason Together...
Isaiah 1:18